Chapter 10: Scare

Liana hears a crash downstairs, so she opens the door to her apartment and looks down the railing to see Jason unconscious

Liana hears a crash downstairs, so she opens the door to her apartment and looks down the railing to see Jason unconscious. Liana says, "Jason." Liana runs down the stairs to check on him and turns around and says, "Someone, call an ambulance. Jason. Jason, can you hear me?" Liana has silent tears rolling down her face trying to wake him up, but he won't wake up. Later, Liana's at the hospital sitting by Jason's bed with tears rolling down her cheeks. Chloe walks into the room with Clark behind her and she softly says, "Hey. How's he doing?" Liana wipes her tears and says, "The doctors don't know. His heart's beating a mile a minute and they can't get his blood pressure down." Chloe says, "That's a little odd for someone who's unconscious, isn't it?" Liana says, "They said he's in some sort of a panic mode. Like he's having a severe nightmare." Clark says, "What happened?" More tears are coming down her face and Liana shakily says, "He, um, came by the Talon to pick me up for lunch and I ran upstairs to grab my purse." Chloe says, "And?" Liana sniffs and says, "And I heard a crash. That's it. He's been, he's been perfectly healthy. But the doctors say that if they can't get his heart rate down then he could have a heart attack." Clark says, "They must have some idea what caused this." Liana softly says, "I wish I could help them. But he was just studying all morning before he came to the apartment. The first time I saw him, he was lying on the Talon floor." Chloe says, "Well, let us know if there's anything we can do to help, okay?" Liana nods and says, "They need his insurance card. It's, um, it's in my apartment. Could you guys go get it for me? I don't wanna leave his side." Chloe says, "Yeah." Liana softly says, "Okay." They both then leave, and Liana looks at Jason praying that he will wake up soon. Later, Liana goes to the Kent's and knocks on the door. Clark says, "Liana." Mr. Kent opens the door and says, "Come on in." Liana walks in and says, "Umm... Sorry to show up like this. I just didn't know where else to go." Mrs. Kent says, "Clark told us about Jason. Has something happened?" Liana softly says, "One of the other infected people just died." Mr. Kent says, "Liana, do the doctors have any idea at all what's going on?" Liana says, "Just that a person's body can only sustain a level of panic for so long before their heart gives out. I can't just sit in that hospital anymore just... just watching Chloe and Jason die. I wanna help." Later, Liana and Clark go to the Torch and Liana says, "We know that Jason was in town by 9 o'clock." Clark's on the computer and says, "Well, according to the hourly satellite images we had clear skies all morning." Liana says, "Hourly? Can we get it a bit more specific than that?" Clark says, "I'll try." Liana says, "You know, I just don't understand why Jason wouldn't tell me that he had a meeting at LuthorCorp." Clark says, "It might have been a blow to his pride accepting Lex's offer." Liana says, "Well, maybe that's what all of this has been about. I've been getting this feeling lately that there's something he hasn't been telling me." Clark looks at Liana and says, "Maybe he thought you'd see him differently if you found out." Liana softly says, "Do you really think I'm that shallow, Clark?" Clark sighs and says, "It might take him awhile to get to know you as well as I do." Liana softly smiles at Clark. Then the computer beeps and Liana looks at it and says, "Look at that." Clark looks back at the computer and says, "It's like that cloud came out of nowhere." Liana says, "And then it's completely gone five minutes later." Clark says, "It covered two miles before it dissipated." Liana says, "Well, why would a cloud just appear like that?" Clark says, "Maybe it's not a cloud. Maybe it's pollution or smoke or something." Liana says, "Well, if that's the county line then Chloe's house is right in the middle of it." Clark says, "So is LuthorCorp." Liana suddenly gasps and notices flashes of light and is then suddenly trying to break free. Liana then wakes up on a metal table with people next to her with sheets on top of them. Liana gets off the metal table to see who's on under the sheet, and she gasps when she sees her dead mom. Liana softly cries and says, "Mom? Mom?" Then another sheet comes off another body and it's her dad. Liana softly says, "Dad." Liana moves on to the next body and it's Lana. Liana's breathing heavily and moves onto the next body and it's Chloe. Liana puts her hand on her mouth and then goes to the last body and it's Jason. Liana sobs and says, "Jason." Then she hears someone say, "Liana. Liana." Liana turns to see another body and walks towards it and places her hand on the metal table, then the hand grabs her, and she screams. The body wakes up and looks to her and it's herself dead and she says, "They're all going to leave you and there's nothing you can do about it." Liana starts screaming again and then passes out in Clark's arms without even knowing.

" Liana starts screaming again and then passes out in Clark's arms without even knowing

The next day, Liana comes into her apartment saying, "Egg Foo young to the rescue

The next day, Liana comes into her apartment saying, "Egg Foo young to the rescue." Liana then notices Jason packing and puts the food down and says, "So... if I'd waited around for the Peking duck, you'd have, what, been gone?" Jason says, "No, I would have been here trying to figure out what to say." Liana sighs and says, "I, I don't understand. Is this because of your mom? You've been different ever since I met her." Jason says, "No, I've been different ever since I came to Smallville. I mean, six months ago, I would have never gone to someone like Lex and groveled for a job that I don't even want. Of course, the worst part is, is I was too embarrassed to even tell you about it." Liana says, "Since when have you ever been embarrassed around me?" Jason says, "Exactly. I don't like this person that I'm becoming, Liana. And I don't want to wait around for you to resent me as much as I resent myself, so..." Liana softly says, "That's not why you're leaving. The one thing I learned from my relationship with Clark is when someone isn't being honest with me. Jason, just tell me the truth." Jason just looks at Liana not saying anything and grabs his bag and kisses Liana's head and says, "Be careful." Liana watches Jason leave with a heavy heart and softly cries.