15: The guy who was in denial

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

***

"I hate this."

"You hate everything, Dev," I said, not once looking up from my book. This was already the fifth time he said this in the last half an hour so it was nothing new to me.

I heard him sigh loudly. "This is true."

Mr. V was sick today so we had a substitute teacher in class. Our class knew that Mr. V probably had a teaching lesson set up for her but this substitute teacher has been sitting on the teacher's desk with her phone since the class started. The only thing she has done was introduced herself, what our readings were for the week, and that we need to get them done by the end of the week to write an essay.

"Devon is just whining so he can avoid his ex," Akito said, sitting behind him with some worksheets from another class all over his desk. Akito took his starbucks on the corner of his desk and started taking a sip.

Devon turned around to give Akito the middle finger.

"Fuck off." He then turned to me. "You're a snitch for telling everyone that."

I shook my head. "I can't believe that you didn't mention you guys breaking up. We were going to find out at some point."

"I can believe it," Archy said, with his usual spot in front of me. "He didn't even tell us when he was dating Asami to begin with."

"Can you keep your voice down please?" Devon hissed with a scowl marring his features. "Some of us are trying to work."

"You're literally on your phone," Archy said, gesturing to his empty desk with only his phone in the middle.

I turned to look at Asami. She was leaning in, talking to Annabel and France. Her usually styled hair was tied back in a messy ponytail. She was rubbing her arms that were covered with a leather jacket and her red corduroys.

My eyes fell on Francesca, who was smiling at whatever Asami was saying. Her brown hair was falling over her purple sweater. She kept toying with the ends of it while she was talking to Asami.

"You're going to catch flies if you are going to stare at her with your mouth open France," Akito whispered loudly, leaning his body towards my direction.

"Maybe there's something on her face," Archy said, talking equally as loud.

I looked at the two of them. 

"Whose face?" I asked. 

"Girl France. Who else could we possibly be talking about?" Akito asked like it was an obvious question, a smirk growing on his face. He had the straw of his drink in his mouth while he was giving a mischievous smile to me.