Chapter 2

Approximately 17 hours earlier...

Korey was never drinking again. She groaned against the throbbing in her skull, pushing the sunglasses further up her nose before returning to her desk. The bookshop was empty, as was typical for Saturday morning. The smell of musty paper and coffee from the shop next door was overwhelming, tagging Korey and all her clothes with its scent.

The bells jingled as the front door to the Merry Little Bookshop opened. A mountain of blonde curls bobbing above the bookshelves announced her arrival even before Sabrina turned the corner, sporting a matching pair of sunglasses. "I am going to kill you, Korey Rodi. I swear to God, I'm going to pull this knife out of my head and murder you with it."

"Can I schedule you in for later? There's a long list of people aching to do that," Korey grumbled.

Sabrina plopped down on the threadbare couch snuggled in the corner of the bookshop. It was supposed to be for the customers, in case they wanted a taste of a book before they bought it. Most days it was Korey's mid-day nap spot. "Next time I agree to go out with you, shoot me. Or, better yet, shoot yourself."

Korey winced, "Can you keep it down?" She began stamping the newly arrived books, separating them into piles before fitting them into the shelves. "Besides, you weren't complaining last night. If I didn't know any better, I might think you enjoyed being drooled over by tall, hot guys."

She pulled out her glittery pink phone and began her signature tapping against the screen with her sparkly press-on nails. "You know I get bored." That was an understatement. Sabrina tossed a lock of blonde curls over her shoulder with the effortless grace that sent most other girls fuming with envy. Even in leggings and an oversized 'Hadestown' T-shirt, Sabrina looked like the main character out of a Hallmark movie.

"You leave a trail of broken hearts, Bri. One day, it's going to catch up to you."

"If it does, you'll be the first to know." She flashed one of her sickly-sweet smiles before returning to her phone.

Korey sighed, "Remind me why we're friends?"

"Because no one else can stand us, so we stand each other."

"Touching," murmured Korey, slipping between the shelves once more.

Sabrina began telling a story, something about an antique coat, not caring if Korey was listening or not. Sabrina was too often caught up in her own perfect world, oblivious to reality.

"Anyway," Sabrina continued, pulling Korey from her thoughts. "I have my dad's Visa, new platforms, and an open Saturday night." Beneath the sunglasses rested a devious grin. "Where are we going?"

Sabrina's parents were loaded. Beyond loaded. And, with one batt of those long, dark lashes, they gave Sabrina whatever she liked. Korey figured it was compensation for their absence in her life.

Korey shrugged, secretly relieved at the thought of the haze that always accompanied a night out with Sabrina. "As long as there's an open bar, I couldn't care less."

"You're no fun when you're sober."

Korey's phone buzzed against the old oak desk, sighing at the caller ID. She took a deep breath, held it, then, by the third ring, answered the call. "Hi, Mom."

"I was wondering when you'd pick up," her mother replied, her voice stale and clipped.

Korey gritted her teeth to keep from saying something she would regret. "I'm working, Mom."

"If you call what you do working," her mother muttered. Willow never failed to air her opinions on her daughter's lifestyle. She had been less than pleased when Korey announced she was moving to the big city, and even more so when she found out her daughter would be pursuing the lucrative career of bookseller. "When are you going to realize this little 'adventure' of yours is useless and move back home? I met this nice young man at the grocery store who told me he also likes books—"