Chapter 7-Part 2

"Explain it to me one more time."

"You didn't strike me as slow, Rodi," Jax growled.

Her returning expression belonged to darker places. It was enough to make even a demon blink. "Say it or I spray it."

His eyes found the pepper spray before he could stop himself. Jax exhaled through gritted teeth. "You're born; you die; your soul returns to the immortal realm. But there are certain things that prevent a zoi from finding their way back. You humans call them ghosts. Reapers find them."

Korey smirked. "So they're ghost-hunters."

"No," he spat. "Well, yes." Even sitting down, she managed to look down her nose at him. "Reapers maintain the balance between our two worlds. The two realities were never meant to overlap; left unchecked, even the slightest blurred lines can have catastrophic effects. Reapers guide stranded zoi to the Gates so they may enter the Afterworld and face Judgement, just like everyone else."

"But don't ghosts need to resolve unfinished business before moving on?" The three immortals in her bedroom turned to her sharply. The room became a shade hotter. "What? I watch movies."

"There are some things you humans get right. Unfinished business can trap a soul in the mortal realm even after their vessel is gone, though there are countless other reasons a zoi might become lost before reaching the Gates. Whatever Earthly business they might have had, once the human dies and the soul breaks free, there are no more tethers to the mortal world. It is inevitable for them to face Judgement. It is a Reaper's job wrangle them back to the Afterworld before they can cause trouble."

"So is Cate a Reaper, then?" Korey asked, studying the redhead, who began carving something into the floor. "Stop that – this is a rental!"

"Cover it with a rug," the woman crooned without hesitation. "And no, I'm not a Reaper. I'll try not to take it as an insult."

Korey did not know whether to apologize or thank her.

Cate straightened up, ignoring Korey's anticipating stare. The woman addressed Aides. "The marking is set. It should deter them for a little while, but if they already picked up the scent—"

"We need to leave," he finished. Aides scanned her tiny apartment with furrowed eyebrows. A new flush spread across Korey's cheeks.

"You-you're leaving? So soon?" Korey could not help the catch in her voice. Frustration burned her eyes once more. "But what about Sabrina? What about the Reapers?"

"Chin up, Rodi," sneered Jax, pulling himself off her bed and throwing open the door. "You'd be much prettier if you smiled."

Aides smacked the back of the man's head roughly enough to make a sound like snapping wood. "And you'd be much more pleasant without a tongue. Shall I make the arrangements?" They held the other's stare much too long. Jax hissed, but stormed out the room, Cate and Marvin hot on his heels. Aides took Korey's hand, pulling her from her seat. She hoped he did not feel the shiver that escaped down her spine. "Korey, if you come with us, your life will never return to normal. Believe me, there is a relief in not knowing. Are you sure you want to throw that veil away?"

Korey only smiled. It was a sad smile. "The chance for normal passed a long time ago."

"It is your choice," he murmured. There was a glassiness to his dark eyes. "And I have a feeling, you'll show up no matter what I do."

"Try to embrace it, Aides. I'm a part of this, whether you like it or not." A shared chill overtook them. Korey realized, with a start, I had never called him by his name.

Aides lip quivered. At first, Korey worried she had stepped too far. The mouth cracked into a wide grin. He shook his head. "Jax was right," he said. "You are remarkable."

"So where are we going?" she asked, ignoring the little skip of her heart.

The Dark Lord's grin deepened. But this time, there was no trace of humor in it. "Pack your bags."