Kill & Run

Day nine.
I didn't apologise. In fact, I didn't really leave my room the foregoing two days. I knew it was craven of me but when I did, he was already on his way to the tattoo shop and as if anyone wanted to work with a soured mind. I decided to bring it up when the retrograding feelings between us shifted, even slightly—if ever.

Doberman: Come out. I picked em up.

I smiled faintly when I saw his name lighting up my phone. Doberman. Heh. I crouched parallel to the daisy white shoe cabinet, bunny looping the black laces. After the white runners debacle last time, I made sure to wear black ones. It felt a bit surreal. I was visiting earthly mountains with...humans—and a demon I was constrained to convert. I jumped to full height, bouncing on my plastic toe caps to feel the cosy fit. The ceramic potted plants on the top watched with compound eyes as I withdrew from the apartment. I fixed my gaze on the metal hinge and when it locked, I walked away from number four. I passed the closed elevator, up-and-down buttons waiting like the homeless. I tapped my fingers in sequence on the railings of the glass balustrade as I bounded down.
The BMW intruded the unmarked asphalt path in a slanted way, disregarding the crossed-off yellow parking. The headlights were like eyes of a predator, long car grilles like teeth, engine humming and when he saw me, the car bellowed a honk. I jogged over and opened the passenger door.

"Luka, hey!" Skinny arms, clothed in pink-striped fingerless gloves, snaked around the metal poles of the headrest and rubbed my chest.

"Hallo!"

I grinned, caressing her forearm and the soft fabric moved under my fingers. "Hey."

Sora drummed my shoulder to get me to turn back and aimed her finger. "That's the one from our group chat, Nikolai."

I followed her gesture, though not before noticing the blond who grinned broad, shoulders inwards ands hands clasped like a child inbetween their parents. A man sat on his left, staring out the tinted window with his aquiline nose up. His dead eyes skated to me and monotonous interior camouflaged his harsh eye bags. There was a short scar lengthening his dry lips, made it appear as if he was smiling. The raven-haired twisted to observe the back window whilst he reversed. Medium crew cut. I nearly choked on the scent of menthol body wash. He's that man smoking in the corner!

"Nice to meet you. I'm his cousin."

Nikolai clicked his tongue at me in approval and placed his attention outside at stone walls. He struck me as someone relaxed, tame. Not a voyeur. Just how close was he to Mammon?
The car ran the orange light at the estate road and zoomed round the petrol station, startling the cherry candle. Minute black dots adjoined the windshield to the black frame like small lily pads at banks of ponds. The tab on the patterned lime can was half-cracked, comfortable in the cup holder below the touchscreen. Juice collected at the rim.

"Seatbelts on everyone! And, don't you dare fecking smoke in here."

"It's my car, woman."

"Put some music, ja?"

"Then, connect your fuckin' bluetooth and put it on yourself."

"Okay! Gott!" I heard clicks on a phone keyboard.

"Dante, gimme a sip of your drink." Sora stuck a grabby hand between the front seats, hardly reaching the shining gearstick. Irritation caused his eyes to crinkle, and seeing that, I gleefully delivered her the chilly can as the car slowed behind a Corolla. "Woah. Cool tattoo."

"Thanks..." I smiled sheepishly, shaking my wrist where the black eyes slept.

"Yuck. You got ultra paradise? Punch is so much better."