CHAPTER NINETEEN: The Outcast and The Invisible Giraffe

It's been hours since we left the uktena. I don't feel any different. There was no lightning or giant clap of thunder. You'd think breaking the jar would be a bigger deal. I try to summon Glass, but nothing happens.

Once I get my magic stronger and learn how to use it, then I can definitely help Kon!

"I still have to worry about Mirabelle," I grumble before turning to Kanati. "Is there anything else we can try against her? It's just a matter of time before she goes after me through the ito again ... or catches my mom."

Kanati only gives a half-hearted grunt to acknowledge that he heard me. He's been weird since we left the uktena.

Frustrated, I grumble, "Shouldn't we have gotten back to the others by now?"

Kanati finally says something. "A story is told of a boy that was captured by a warring tribe. An uktena, ancient as the stars themselves and with antlers wider than the branches of an oak tree, was terrorizing the village. When warriors approached it, it would tell them, Flee or die!"

"At least it gave them a choice," I reply. "It didn't lie. And rip part of him out."

What did I say? He looks like I just stabbed him. It's not like I was talking about him.

"Even if a great fighter managed to wound the uktena by striking it exactly in its seventh stripe, its blood was venom that scalded and poisoned. The captured boy was told that if he slayed the beast, he would be given his freedom." Kanati sighed.

"So he found the snake?"

"It was a quest that took him through many dangers. And he learned many things from those he met. A wise man taught him the art of the bow and arrow. Owl taught him patience. After winning a test of the strength of his spirit by staring into Phoenix-Bird's eyes, it taught him how to make sacred flames that would protect anyone within. Lastly, Coyote taught him how to track and lure prey."

I nod for him to go on, still not sure what this has to do with me.

"Finally, the boy tracked the antlered snake to the base of a great mountain. Before he approached the beast, he used what he had learned and made a circle of sacred fire from pine cones. He lured the beast out." Then he adds, "His arrow landed true, a credit to his teacher. Before the venomous blood could kill him, he jumped into the circle of flames, shielded from death. He was released by his captors for he had earned their respect and returned to his own tribe, having won great status."

"But I'm not supposed to kill the uktena I saw ..." Those are words I never thought I'd be saying. Thinking of Belle Lake's monsters, I ask, "What would you do if someone lied to you your whole life? If they made you afraid of what you really are?"

"I am not the one to ask that question, Mah-shee." Then he says, "When the sun was still young, I was betrayed by a dear friend."

He sounds like the perfect person to ask! "What did you do?"

"He became my enemy and I have not spoken to him since, nor will I. Not until the mountains become the sea."

"Did he have a reason?" Clearing my throat, I add, "You know, was he scared of you?"

"Would it matter?" Kanati pauses to look at me.

"Maybe."

"The friend that became my enemy did have a sound reason. But still the wound to my heart wouldn't let me forgive him. Fear does make creatures do things they would not normally do, but one who lies once will lie again. What you control is whether or not you believe them." All of a sudden, he stops and looks at me. "Though I am no liar, I hope that you will forgive me."