Chapter 15: Even More Questionable Decisions Are Made Here

This chapter was edited on 2/3/2016 and includes minor alterations. Enjoy!

*******************************************************

I laid still on Chris's bed, listening to his breathing. As soon as I'd dropped Lizzie off at home and got to his apartment, he practically attacked me. Within five minutes, we were naked on his bed, and then, roughly two hours later, he was laying on my chest sleeping. But I didn't know what to do. He said before that we couldn't do this anymore. And now, Eliot's involved. Well, he's always been involved, but now it's in a completely different way. Part of me wanted to tell Chris about Eliot trying to come onto me, and the kiss, but what would it help? It would only make their relationship more strained, and in the end it would only make things worse.

I didn't want Chris to leave again. I was way too attached to him, and the sad part was, I don't think there's anything I could've done about it. You know, the whole saying of "absence makes the heart grow fonder", or some such shit. And, to make things worse, I knew he didn't want to leave either. The whole thing had gotten so out of hand. What started as a one-night stand, has become a huge, complicated, fucked-up mess.

I'd started drawing circles on Chris's shoulder with my thumb during my thinking, causing him to stir slightly before his eyes opened. He was silent for a second, then wrapped his arm around my waist, kissing my collarbone softly. "Arden?" he murmured

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry."

I frowned slightly, moving my hand from his shoulder to his head, running my fingers through his hair. "Sorry for what?"

"For, all of this. I should've just told you to fuck off at the bar. And I didn't, and now. It's just a lot," he mumbled. I snorted quietly, smiling a little despite the topic

"Oh, well then."

"You know what I mean. I shouldn't have kept seeing you. I should've ended it after the first night, and I didn't. Because I thought it wouldn't mean anything. And then somewhere, it actually started to mean something, and..." Chris trailed off, frowning as he lowered his head against my chest, and I sighed quietly.

"Yeah, I know."

He hummed quietly, lifting his head again and looking directly at me, staying quiet for a minute. "You didn't tell me you had a Bachelor's degree."

"You never asked." I responded with a small smile, getting an equally small one in response.

"Fair enough, I suppose. Why Microbiology?"

I shrugged slightly. "I don't know. Just didn't seem like a lot of people were going into that field, I guess. Besides, I like science."

He nodded, pushing himself into a sitting position before moving over, straddling my legs. "I never liked science. I was good at it though. My favorite subject was history, which I sucked at."

I laughed quietly and putting my arms around his waist and settling my hands at his lower back. "Okay, what did you go to college for?"

"Bar tending?"

"There's an actual degree for that?" I asked, and Chris nodded, leaning forward to rest his forehead against mine as he made an affirmative humming sound. "Why? I've never even seen you drink."

"Because I don't."

"Oh, yes, because it makes so much sense to be a bartender and not even drink. But why a bartender? Of all things?"