Grief

Because of the pain of losing Gwen, the school gave him time off. Leaving him to grieve at home without worry.

There were only a few weeks left in school anyway, Peter was looking forward to graduating so he wouldn't have to worry about school for a while. So he'd have time to himself. The only thing that wouldn't leave him alone was the rest of New York.

Stories of their beloved Spider-Man, and when was he coming back. News about how their crime dramatically increased 75% because of his disappearance.

Comfort was all he wanted. Gwen was what he needed. But it was clear, he couldn't have both at the same time with her gone.

He thought about going after Harry for what he had done. But Laura stopped him multiple times, explaining to him that nothing that he does to him would help. It would make it even worse. He can't get back at him for taking his love away.

So there he laid mind racing at the thoughts. Aunt May downstairs worried sick about him. All he could do is sleep. Maybe once in a while have a forced check-in with Laura and May but that's it. The check-in was the same every week.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine." Was the only answer that came out of his mouth every time the doctor that Laura hired asked the question. The only thing that changed was the date.

"Would you do anything to change the past?"

That was new. She never asked this question before. Why now?

"What type of fucking question is that?" Peter scoffed. It shocked Laura, Aunt May, and the doctor. That was the biggest reaction they got out of him yet. "Excuse me?" The doctor asked.

"You heard me, what type of fucking question was that? Of course, I'd change the past." Peter got up from around the dining table angrily. "You think I'd like to live in a world without her?" The doctor shook her head no and wrote down his behaviors. "I just wanted to know. It's clear to me now that you don't want to." She packed up her notepad into her bag and got up from the table.

"Thank you for your time today, Peter." She put her hand on his shoulder and walked over to the front of the home, waiting for Aunt May. "I need to speak with you outside."

-

He stormed upstairs. Anger is all he felt. Laura and Aunt May are doing their best to comfort him, and help him through his pain but it's just getting worse. He appreciates their efforts but it just isn't enough.

Nothing will be enough. In the absence of Gwen, who would help him through his pain, he had to rely on Laura for that. Even though she mostly helped him. He needed a distraction from everything but he wasn't sure Laura could give him that.

"I thank you guys for everything that you've done but please, it won't help me," Peter confessed. As the two lay down on Laura's couch, watching the Batman trilogy under a thick comforter, all Laura could think about is how down her best friend has been.

She wished she could do something about it, but she knew she couldn't give him what he needed.

"Might as well try."

The two laughed as they watched the movie. Genuinely enjoy it.

Peter sighed as he adjusted their positioning on the couch, Laura wrapped her arms tighter around the man while he moved. He couldn't help but think about his movie nights on the couch with Gwen.

Laura looked up at the man that she hugged as she heard sniffles. She immediately stops the movie and turned on the lights. "Peter, are you okay? What's wrong?"

As soon as he heard the words come out of her mouth, he busted out into tears.

"I miss her so much." He managed to get out.

While he cried, he wrapped his arms around Laura. "I know. I miss her too."

She sat up and removed his arms from around her, switching her position, and laid his head on her shoulder, running her hands through his brown locks.

He looked up into her eyes, and she wiped the tears away from his cheeks.

"Can I... Kiss you?" He asked.

Laura nodded her head yes. He then leaned in towards her face and kissed her.

She kissed him back but pulled back suddenly realizing what they did.

"I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking." Peter apologized profusely, thinking of what this would do to their friendship. He jumped up from the couch and collected his items.

"Peter, wait!" She yelled after him. He rushed to the front door and left her home immediately. What were they thinking?

-

"He won't answer any of my calls, Nyra. I'm worried about him." I called and messaged Peter so many times but he didn't answer at all. I even went back to school, wondering if he would be alright without me.

"I think he's staying away from you to preserve your friendship," Nyra replied.

"Well he isn't making it any better, I can tell you that."

"I still can't believe he kissed you though. And he asked before doing it? That's what'll make a bitch fall in love."

I giggled at Nyra's commentary and went on to look at the people who walked past us during our lunch period.

As we watched them walk past, I spotted Peter leaning against a pillar listening to music and taking pictures of people doing their own thing, living through their last year of high school.

"I'll be right back, Nyra." As soon as I finished the sentence, I walked over to Peter.

"Hey." I greeted him. I can tell my voice startled him.

"Hey." He breathed.

"We need to talk."

I pulled him into the hallways of the school, away from everyone else.

"I'm so sorry, Laura. I didn't mean to. You probably don't feel the same as I felt during that moment. I'm sorry if I made you feel horrible." He went on, rambling about how sorry he is.

Rambling about how I probably don't feel the same as him. "Stop talking." I stopped him before he said anymore. What does he mean by that? Does he feel the same way as me?

He looked at me surprised when I stopped him from talking. I leaned in and placed a kiss on his cheek. "I do feel the same."

Immediately, he started smiling and kissed me on the lips gently. In the middle of the kiss, I felt as if I was floating. He finally sees me as I saw him. But the damn bell rung.

Author's Note:
Hey everyone! I'm going to make the chapters shorter so I can upload more chapters. Tell me if you prefer longer or shorter!