The Dragon's Kiss - Chapter 28 - TWENTY EIGHT: The Pantheon Masquerades

Spencer Regan.

Like many other nobles of his generation, he’d been given two names at his birth. With his unique hair color, good looks and wealth, he’d always been an important figure in the empire’s high society.

As a young man, the emperor at the time had taken a special interest in him. He saw a potential in Spencer Regan that his own children lacked. It wasn’t the potential to rule a nation on the surface per se, but to rule the underground.

Spencer Regan grew to adulthood learning the ways of all things dark and dangerous. By the time he came of age to inherit his father’s title, he already possessed a much more prestigious one: the king of the underworld.

When the current emperor slaughtered the royal family and took over the empire, the underground had been damaged but not destroyed. The only king the Dragon Emperor was incapable of dethroning, it seemed, was Spencer Regan.

In his latest attempts to regain the underworld’s former glory, Spencer Regan began hosting disgusting lavish parties. These parties targeted nobles with an overabundance of both wealth and curiosity. All kinds of sinful and illegal behavior occurred at the gatherings, branding every attendee a criminal.

And thus, with their own criminal record hanging over their heads, Spencer Regan threatened, bribed and blackmailed many well-intending people into joining his unholy organization.

Getting the right evidence to take down the underworld was nearly impossible, as Spencer Regan managed to pull off stunts nearly as crafty as those of the Dragon Emperor. As the emperor had learned the first time, he’d have to set an intricate and elaborate trap if he wanted to successfully clean out the empire’s dirty back streets.

***

“They’re called the Pantheon Masquerades,” Ira explained, after giving Kel a detailed overview of the situation.

“I see…” Kel left off, pondering the information she’d just received. “Forgive me for asking,” she added, glancing sideways toward the emperor, “but why would you need my help to take him down?”

“He’s proven to be a much more capable opponent than we initially gave him credit for,” Ira sighed.

“It’s because that horrible previous emperor taught him all his awful tricks!” Thane threw in.

Kel had never met the empire’s previous ruler; even stories about him were hard to come by thanks to the Dragon Emperor’s purge. Still, she had a hard time imagining a foolish man like Spencer Regan had been able to outsmart the cunning emperor. Especially considering that his mentor had succumbed easily to the Dragon’s sword.

As if he’d heard her doubts, the emperor spoke up. “That man has another backer. Neither he nor my predecessor were ever that clever.”

“You don’t mean…” Thane said quietly and the three men fell silent.

After several moments, Ira commented, “So you believe she’s caught the eye of the backer as well?”

The emperor didn’t reply.

“I’m against this,” Thane suddenly declared, standing up. “You can’t throw the princess into a wolf’s den just because you’ve tried everything else.”

“It’s not like there’s any other way she can help us,” Ira rolled his eyes, pulling Thane back down. “Don’t be so dramatic.”

The emperor turned to Kel. “I don’t believe this woman is weak enough to be phased by something like a den of wolves. Isn’t that right?”