Chapter 24 - A Kick in the Gut

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova – Falling Slowly

Maddie only left her bedroom to grab a packet of Salt and Vinegar crisps from the kitchen that night. She was sick and tired of everybody trying to take over her life and do everything for her; yes she was grateful that they cared that much about her but it was just making everything ten times worse. She decided to forget the homework for a night and just relax, that was until her mobile began to ring.

Maddie reached for her phone and saw her brother’s name light up the screen, she smiled to herself and pressed answer.

“Hi Ben, I thought you’d be off to some student night by now.”

“I was just getting ready to go and thought I’d give you a call, you know see how you are, see how everything’s going with Jasper.” Maddie shook her head as soon as she heard the words come out of his mouth; of course Ben would never just call out of the blue, it wasn’t his style.

“Kate called you didn’t she?”

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about, I haven’t spoken to Kate since I was in London a few weeks ago.” Maddie could hear her brother getting flustered at the other end of the line.

“What’s the point Ben? You’re the world’s worst liar, just admit Kate called you.” Maddie waited for her brother to admit defeat, he couldn’t lie at the most of times and he could never lie to her. His voice went all flustered and high pitched and most of time he’d start giggling like a little girl. When he’d been in trouble with their parents it had been one of the most hilarious things to watch.

“Alright, fine.” He sighed and his voice returned to its normal level. “Kate called to say you were having some trouble at school and were beginning to get down, so I just wanted to check on you myself.” Maddie sighed as she listened to her brother, they’d been really close when he’d been at home, now he was away at university most of the time she really missed his stupid jokes and annoying habits.

“I’m fine, there’s just been this whole thing with Ali because she used to date Jasper and –“

“Wait Jasper went out with Ali, she is so not his type.” Maddie laughed as her brother put on a camp voice, she could just imagine him with his hands on his hips and pouting.

“Either way it doesn’t matter, Ali’s pissed off anyway. She got a load of her friends to make snotty comments about Jasper and me, then one of them slapped me this afternoon.” Maddie said it in a bored voice, she just wanted to forget it now and move on.

“Hang on! She got one of her friends to slap you? Jeez that’s a bit harsh, why didn’t she do it herself if she wanted to slap you. Not that you deserve to be slapped.”

“I don’t think she wanted to slap me, she genuinely had no idea her friend was going to do it. She even came round to the house to apologise and to check that I was alright, well she tried to anyway; Kate didn’t exactly give her a chance to. That’s what’s pissing me off the most, everybody wants to stand for me, it’s like they think I’m hopeless or something.” She sighed angrily down the phone and sat up a little straighter on her bed.