Chapter 9 : The bet, the thin line between miracle and tragedy.

They are plunged in the frigid water, pain piercing their skin all at once, as if their bodies were set on fire. Su-Ryeon grips Logan's hand firmly but the pressure is too strong and they end up getting separated.

Her eyes burning, she runs her hand through the cloudy water, where he was mere seconds ago.

Logan's last words are circling through her mind as she keeps fighting against the ship's pull which is dragging her deeper and deeper.

"No...no...no...it is not supposed to end like this... you have to let me go...I need to find him"

She is starting to suffocate, if she needs to do something, it's now. She beat her arms and feet furiously, swimming upstream. But she might as well be flailing her arms in thin air, because she isn't moving away at all.

She throws a glance toward the ship who keeps sinking slowly in the ocean, her dark mass almost invisible in the cloudy water.

"Let me go, dammit. I didn't tell him yet, these words are so simple...I have to..."

Su-Ryeon is on the verge of giving up when she is flung upward by a rush of air. The surface keeps getting nearer and she is welcomed by complete chaos when she emerges.

Light-headed, her sight obscured by spots, she takes a huge gulp of crisp air, her lungs burning by the mere act of inhaling.

She cast her glance around in hope of recognizing her lover amongst the sea of people who twist and turn in the icy water, screaming in despair. The cloud of vapor of their rushed breath join the fog floating above the waterline, and Su-Ryeon is unable to see more than a few meters in front of her.

The piercing pain has not subdued, the freezing water is scorching every inch of her skin, with a growing numbness in her limbs. Her motions are heavy as she swims between people.

"Where are you Logan ?" she laments.

This is when she notices something floating in front of her...

Meanwhile, Logan was dragged away quite far* from Su-Ryeon when they were put under and is searching for her desperately, diving in the water before coming up for air again. But he cannot go very deep, the cloudy water makes it impossible to see anything. His breath grows into gasps, the stinging feeling in his body intensifying and his anxiety shoots up.

He scans another area when he crosses paths with the cook who was next to them when the Titanic sank.

Holding onto a chair, he is beating his feet calmly in the water.

"Son, you shouldn't exert yourself like that, you will lose energy and warmth faster" he says, his speech slurred.

"Great, receiving advice from a drunkard cook, now" thinks Logan turning his back to him.

"I am searching for my woman...we were separated when...the ship sank" Logan stutters, his face frozen stiff.

"Oh that young lady...son, you didn't realize, but we were dragged away from the sinking spot, didn't you notice there are fewer people here ? she is probably over there" says the man, pointing where a collective wailing from disembodied voices are coming from. Logan is overcome by panic.

"I...need to go !"

The man grabs him by his lifebelt.

"What are you talking about ?! this is straight-up suicide to swim over there"

"Like I care ! let go of me!" He attempts to break free but he feels too weak and the cook holds him firmly.

"Stop it...son, you'll exhaust us both"