CHAPTER | 3

MEGAN

The moment his dark eyes met mine, I knew I was in deep trouble. Never in my wild dreams had I dreamt about meeting him after two years.

My stomach lurched, sunk and then jolted together uncomfortably. My legs started to give up as my sight became hazy.

He looked so good. So handsome. So perfect. Yet beyond my reach.

The same silky hair through which I had roamed my fingers, had grown longer now. Parted at a side, he looked like a Prince rather than an entrepreneur. How could he be so firm where he stood, when I was about to decompose right in front of him?

Did us not affect him as much as it affected me? He looked way better than he looked when I was with him. Perhaps, he had moved on? As our eyes held each other, his phone buzzed and he walked away, breaking our stare.

I released a breath that I didn't know I held and crashed on Peter. He held me tightly knowing exactly what I was feeling. Fuck, the whole town knew about our breakup, but what they didn't know was how much I suffered from it.

When I had lunches and dinners with my client to discuss about the floral arrangements that was needed, which by the way was purely business for me, Miles and his stupid fans portrayed me as a whore of the town who went out with men even when I was the girlfriend of the handsome Miles Jackson.

Our breakup was taken very easily by people, especially the public who effortlessly pointed their fingers at me, protecting their favourite chef as I took the blame for the things he had done to me behind my back.

Only my closest friends didn't judge me though they didn't know exactly what went down between us. They stood by me when the world mocked at my miseries and they consoled me when I absorbed the blame not giving any bread to the hungry reporters.

And Peter treated me like a friend, though it had been years since I had met him last. We had spoken like an old family, laughed, and even danced on the dance floor. For a second, I had even forgotten the reason why I despised men. Almost.

Until Miles Jackson had come crashing my shore once more.

I blamed it all on Pamela, my current boss... friend, who was the one who had dragged me to this idiotic party as her plus one. She had literally emotional blackmailed me to get my ass here. Though I had anticipated the worst, Miles Jackson wasn't one of them.

I knew I would have to meet him one day, now that I was going back to town, but I wasn't equipped to meet him like this – unexpectantly and unprepared. It was overwhelming and I wasn't ready – emotionally and mentally. I needed time to reorganize things both in my brain and heart to even look at the guy who had broken my heart into a million of pieces.

"You, okay?" Peter had asked, as he gripped me tighter. I could see concern dancing in his eyes and a layer of anger for the guy who had just walked away from me... again.

"He has that kind of an effect on girls." Jason had chuckled. His comment alone made my eyes water. This was exactly what the Boulevard town talked when we split. "Oops, someone is making a scene in the drinks section. I better go."

My stomach had twisted further when I heard Jason's words, except that he didn't know that I shared a past with him. A past that was eating me alive every day.

Peter vanished when Pamela came back with a glass of wine, trying to cheer me up. No one knew what I had left behind in the Baldachin Boulevard and I wanted that to remain as it was. I was glad that Peter hadn't mentioned anything to anyone.

Pamela and I had wrapped up the day very fast after that. I took two Eszopiclone tablets that day to help me sleep, but I only ended up crying after an hour, reminiscing everything that I once shared with the heartbreaker.