CHAPTER | 18

MILES

I turned the weight on top of my table and spun in clockwise. The yellow-colored weight took two whole turns before it came to a halt. I took the weight in my hands again for another spin, but the knock on my door made my hand stop momentarily.

Steve walked inside and without looking at me in the eyes, he stood for my command. "Steve." I breathed. "Could you please check if you can shrink my schedules a bit? Maybe I could do a skype or something instead of visiting those places?"

Steve abruptly looked at me, his eyes wide in horror. But I ignored him. He always was a dramatic guy.

"I'm planning not to travel for a while. So please make sure that all my calls are over the net." I repeated again to give him more clarification. "And let's not take new contracts for a while. I want to revisit a few old ones."

"Sir..." Steve opened his mouth and it stood hanging for a while.

"Yes, Steve?" I asked. "Do you need a few clarifications?"

It was a simple job and I wondered if he was having problems to execute it when he had taken care of more dire ones effortlessly. I looked at him questioningly wanting him to better speak up faster.

"Are you... are you alright, sir?" He asked. If I had let him, Steve would have come over to me crossing the barrier of the teak table in front of me to check my temperature.

"I'm more than alright." I said, shrugging my shoulders. "What makes you think that?"

"You never... you never have said please before." He said hesitantly.

I put the weight on top of the table and twirled around in my seat to get up. I buttoned my coat and took a step forward towards Steve. I could understand his point too. Ever since my last PA had brought a sharp curve in my relationship with Megan, I had treated them to stand where they were actually supposed to, never giving in to a friendly talk.

But now, I saw myself walking over the barriers to embrace the same.

"Do you want me to go back to my old terms?" I asked, as I planted my hips on the side of the table and looked at him. I crossed my hands across my chest rising one eye brow at him. Though it was a move to intimidate, I hoped that my smile was doing the trick to hoax him.

"No! No." Steve said immediately. "I didn't mean that. Okay sir. I... I'll just carry out what you just said to me."

I stood taller and gave him a smile. "Good." I patted his shoulder. "Let me know if there is anything else that needs to be looked into."

"Sir?" I had barely turned around, but Steve's lingering question made me spin back to face him. "Can... can I ask what old projects need tweaking? I'll just make arrangements for it."

My smile broadened. It was the first time that I appreciated having Steve as my personal secretory. He was a far thinker and an efficient worker whose mind travelled faster for my taste.

"I'm going back into the kitchen, Steve." I said.

I could almost hear the pride in my voice. I had given it up to build a franchise that my dad wanted. With my old condition to get away from everything, I had been overloaded with work for the last three years and I had built a wonderful legacy with it. Now that I had completed pleasing my father, I knew it was time to keep myself happy.

And the only thing that kept me sane was kitchen and... Megan. I wasn't going to let it go without a fight. We had come to terms with the past and hopefully, I wanted to check if I had any spot left in her future.