CHAPTER | 8

MILES

"You have a meeting with the France people at eight in the evening. I've also booked a suite for you in France." Steve spoke, glaring at his notepad. "Gregory wants to have a chat with you, and he is waiting at the pub now, the usual one."

"What does he want this time?" I muttered under my breath. It was the third time, he wanted to talk to me about the hotel we were fighting to have on our side. I had managed to get rid of him for last two months, but he was too persistent. "Did you give him the appointment?"

"Err... yes." Steve looked up from his notepad and gave a nervous laugh. "You are free till your flight at six."

I rubbed my brows and sighed. "Fine." I had to meet him one day or the other, so why not now? I walked past Steve. "Wait at the car, I need a break. But, I'll be back soon."

I looked at the hotel that was my own and heaved a sigh. It had been two months since I had asked Steve to get me a hectic schedule that I had never once come back to town to see what I had left behind. Before I was going out of town again for business, I wanted to meet my friends to whom I had given the responsibilities of Jackson's toast.

Shaking my head, I went in the back door to reach the kitchen.

"Ginger!" Dylan Cooper was shouting at a corner. "Why can't you put ginger in that dish? Just because you have a name Ginger, doesn't mean that it comes naturally with anything you do!"

I smiled at my best friend and walked towards him. I could see Joe McKenzie shake his head as he stuffed the turkey in the oven. The place remained exactly the same since the last I saw it, except that Dylan was at the head post.

"Enjoying the position, are we?" I asked as I reached them, with a sly smile on my face.

"Miles!" Joe said, turning towards me. "You should take this guy down from it. Look how he is using his powers over us!"

I laughed. I jumped up to sit on the side slab of the kitchen. A few heads turned towards my side to see me and then quickly averted their gazes and continued with their work, scared that I might turn them into ash with my glare.

"So, tell me what did he blackmail you this time?"

Dylan was a better at management along with his cooking skills. It was one of the reasons why I had chosen him to be at the head cook. He knew how to make one flinch and make sure that they delivered what was supposed to be done. Joe on the other hand was a softie. He couldn't hurt a fly with his bare hands.

"It was one of Saturday nights! And this idiot wants to hang out with his new girlfriend." Dill rolled his eyes. "I told him that if he steps out of the area, he will lose his job."

"Just look at him, swaying his ass with all his idiotic authority over us." Joe complained, though I was sure there was no hard feelings about it.

Joe and I both looked over at Dylan, who just shrugged and crossed his arms over his chest. I let out a small laugh. "Easy there Dill, don't you remember that party last year?"

"What party?" Dylan put on an innocent face, while Joe seemed satisfied.

"The one where you wanted to bang that girl as she was an eight in your beauty scale?" I recalled that evening for him when we had sat here in the kitchen watching over the customers who came by. "You tossed your apron at me asking me to complete your task while you went out with her."

"That's not fair, Miles." Dylan wined. "It was a matter of my pride. I hardly see any girl with a rating more than six these days."

"That's because you are a jerk, rating girls." Joe said, checking on his turkey. "That explains why every girl you had went out before, spits at you when she sees you now."