12

I take it Lindsey didn't get exactly what he wanted from Stevie, as he comes downstairs pouting about an hour later. He sticks around for a while, brooding on the couch until he mumbles something about picking up Stella from something, and takes his leave. And, I'm gonna say, I'm relieved.

"Always a joy interacting with him," I grumble, rolling my eyes as I focus on my book. Everyone is gathered in the atrium, Dave, Carlos and Lori in the pool outside.

"Tell me about it," Karen sighs.

"I hope Stevie's okay," Sharon says, "She should have been down by now."

"Do you want me to go up and check? I'm sure Sula needs to go out again," I offer, possibly too quickly.

"Would you? I don't want her to think I'm prying," Sharon says. I nod, marking my page with the flap on the cover of the book, and head off up the stairs.

"Stevie?" I call, tapping on her door lightly.

"Who is it?" She sniffles. That mother fucker.

"Alina."

"Come in," She says. I push the door open and my eyes scan the room. It's huge, and just as Stevie as the rest of the house. Huge four poster bed swathed in beautiful white gauzy drapes, framed photos and paintings scattered on the walls. A huge antique mahogany dresser and matching armoire. Shawls and scarves hung from the windows and over lamps. Just like we set up the hotel room.

"Hey," I smile, shutting the door behind me and hesitating in the middle of the room.

She sitting in the middle of her bed, fully dressed and made up, just staring out the french doors that lead to her balcony.

I climb up on the bed beside her, resting my hand lightly on her shoulder as I gently brush through her hair with my fingers.

"You okay?"

She nods, looking over at me. Her brown eyes are big as they study my face, the sun catching in them and showing off the beautiful honey flecks in her irises.

I wrap my arms around her and she lays her head against my shoulder. I don't know what this is, if this is platonic or a little more, but I don't care. I'll take any form of closeness to her that I can get.

"You're so beautiful, Stevie," I whisper. She looks up at me, a small smile on her face. She presses a kiss to my brow, then slides off the bed.

"I couldn't sleep last night."

"I woke up too fucking early. My sleep schedule is shit," I sigh. "Why couldn't you sleep?"

She catches my eye in the vanity mirror, blushing slightly.

"I guess I'm not used to sleeping without you."

My heart races at that, and my breath catches in my throat. Don't over think it don't over think it don't over think it.

"Ali-"

My head whips around as the door opens.

"Hey, just checking on you," Sharon smiles, sitting beside me on the bed.

"I'm fine," Stevie huffs, waving her off.

"We're gonna go out tonight, you should come, Ali. Before we start up again," Sharon says.

"Mm, I don't know. I'm wiped out," I say. "Besides, the hot tub has been calling my name since I first saw it."

"No fun," Sharon sighs, nudging me with her shoulder.

"Sorry, Sharon," I shrug.

I see Stevie fighting back her smile, and I have to look at something else before I can give myself away.