Common activities, roles, and dynamics in BDSM

Different types of activities, roles, and relationship dynamics

Below is a list of some of the more common activities, roles, and relationship dynamics that you might see in BDSM. This list is by no means exhaustive. There is always more to discover and learn about as you journey through BDSM.

Domination – The act of taking control of a willing individual in order to satisfy both the sub's desire for a lack of control and a Dom(me)'s desire for control

Sensation and Deprivation – The act of stimulating or controlling one's senses. Examples can range from lightly dragging a feather across skin to blindfolding or choking.

Pet play – Role-playing as a chosen animal by acting out their characteristics and behaviors.

Bondage and Rope – The process of restricting a sub's actions and movements, usually done with rope, cuffs, or other restraining gear.

Sadism – The enjoyment from causing another individual physical pain.

Masochism – The enjoyment from receiving physical pain. Can range from simple, open-handed spanks to a whip slashing across your skin. Bruises, cuts, and other physical abrasions may occur.

Waxplay – The act of pouring melted wax on the body.

CBT – Cock and ball torture. The act of causing physical distress or pain on the penis and testicles.

Knife play – Enjoyment from having a knife or other sharp object dragged across the skin, sometimes causing cuts.

Blood play – Enjoyment from blood. Can be as mild as simply seeing blood or more intense such as playing with it or drinking it.

Ageplay – Role-playing an age different from your actual age. Can be younger or older.

Degradation – The act of degrading someone with words, actions, or commands. Things such as calling the sub a whore or using an individual as a piece of furniture.

Exhibitionism – The enjoyment of being naked or performing activities, sometimes sexual, for the viewing of others. Note that this should only be done to a willing audience.

Voyeurism – The enjoyment from watching or spying on others who may be naked or performing activities, sometimes sexual, with the permission of the person(s) being watched.

Primal – Giving into behaviors that would be exhibited by a wild animal. This can include biting, scratching, and howling. There is usually a Hunter and a prey.

CNC – Consensual non-consent. This is a proper way of saying rape fantasy. It is ALWAYS done with all parties consent. NEVER do CNC with someone you have not personally met and vetted. Some parties will require a written consent form to be signed before any CNC scene is attempted.