#10

Today I woke up and decided to visit Mr. Vaughn, I promised him I would keep an eye on his daughter's footsteps and tell him everything I could gather through the posts on social media. This visit will be a bit of torture, but I can also take away something good. I hope Mr. Vaughn will tell me something useful today, show me some of Jules's photo albums when I was a kid, tell me funny stories... I don't know, anything is better than silent notifications.

...

I rang the doorbell and it was an easy task, it was even difficult to enter that house and not go straight to Jules' room. Even worse was having to remind Mr. Vaughn that he had made a promise and that day is the day to keep it. Apart from forgetfulness, he was quite receptive and pleasant. I tried to be sneaky and take it slow. I started by asking how he was, what he was doing with his life... those things that people always ask at the beginning of a conversation to avoid being direct.

As soon as we finished the usual questions, there was silence...

As if the silence said it all.

Whoever wrote this was certainly wrong, at least on this occasion. The silence didn't say anything, it just brought a futile need to find something to talk about and break the interminable silence. And finally I had the courage to bring up the subject that was of interest to both of them.

- So Mr. Vaughn, as I promised a few weeks ago, I've gathered some information on where Jules is and I intend to show you.

- Oh Rue, don't call me sir, you can call me David.

- Okay, Mr. Vaughn... sorry, hmmm... David.

- That's right, a lot better isn't Miss Rue!?

After that I just agreed to call him David, in fact, I was tired of all the formalism of calling him sir. But as my mother brought me up, no matter how boring it is, I do.
We spent hours talking about Jules' travels and I showed her all the pictures she took after she left home.

I know you might be questioning me why I'm showing her social media if David has a cell phone. The obvious. After Jules left, she deprived accounts and removed some people, including her father. I don't think she wanted him to go after her or anything.

Anyway, after updating Jules' dad, I decided it was time to go home. I had a little long walk. I haven't taken a bike since I got back from rehab. Before, it was liberating. Now it's suffocating, especially in how it reminds me of her and the times we spent on bikes. It may seem a bit contradictory, hypocrisy, use whatever adjective you think is best. But there are things I'd rather avoid than having to remember her in every little thing I touch or do. I prefer to hope that any minute my cell phone might ring with a notification from her.

And played...