# 4: The encounter with Ali

I think I live in some part of the universe where he only does what I don't want to happen, and it wasn't this time I escaped from Ali. As soon as I got downtown for the meeting I ran into him, I was taken aback actually.

- Hi Rue! Such as?

- Hi, can I say I'm living every day and you?

- Likewise. Look, I think we'd better get in, the meeting is about to start, but I want to talk to you when it's over. See if you don't run away from me, ok !?

- Alright Ali, see you.

The meeting was over, I got the signature and ran into the parking lot, but before I even rode the bike, I felt someone touching my shoulder, it was Ali.

- Did you think you were going to run away again?

- Of course not Ali, just came to get the bike to go ahead, would wait for you in front of the building.

After this brief conversation, we drove quietly to a coffee shop nearby. I was a little surprised because I thought Ali was going to pull the sermon, on the contrary, it felt like we were in a minute's silence, which was only broken because of me.

- So Ali, what did you want to talk about?

- I wanted to know how your life is doing, you disappeared, you didn't stay in NA for a while. What happened?

- It's a complicated subject, I don't know if I want to talk to you about it.

- I don't want to insist or push the bar, but I really care about you and I want to help you any way I can.

- Look Ali, this is it, I had a bad conversation with Nate and that was hammering in my head and I called Jules to run away with me. It turned out it was time, I gave it back and she left. It left me at rock bottom and when I got home the only thing I wanted to do was ease my pain; and the rest I'm sure you've heard it out there.

- Really, I've heard it, but I wanted to hear you talking. I know how much your mother and brother suffered and I'm glad you're walking the line.

- You know I'm only clean because of them.

- At least it's clean no matter the reasons. I didn't even want to play the guy who said "I warned you", I don't like this role. But ... I warned you Rue, I said she was going to finish you.

- If you came here to try and denigrate her, we'd better end up here." It wasn't the reason I did it, it was a mix of events, there was a lot more involved that not everyone knows.

- Okay Rue, you don't have to be nervous, I won't judge anyone. I know your situation is delicate, I always knew. But deep down you know it was she who lit the fuse, went away and blew up the bomb.

- I won't argue you know, I'm tired ....

After this not very pleasant conversation, we talk about him and what his life is like being clean. We spent a lot of time chatting away and stopping to analyze until it was better than expected. There was a picture in my mind that Ali was going to throw a lot of things in my face, but he was very cautious. I hope the upcoming meetings will be less tense than this one.