Chapter 17

Vern

Two days. Two days of darkness. Two days of mindless conversation with Lyric. Two days of absolutely excruciating boredom. The ships don’t sway that I notice and I assume we’re still in the harbor of the trade islands.
When the door to the brig opens and James steps through, I jump to my feet.
“You,” he points. “Up on deck, now.”
I follow him up to the wooden deck where Tarben and Östen wait. The sun shines through the clouds, dancing on the water of the harbor. Östen refuses to meet my eyes.
“We leave at daybreak for Havredal,” Tarben says. “Your punishment is watching us sail away.”
Before I can respond, someone steps out of the mess of people.
“You’re leaving him?” Welch exclaims.
“Welch,” I caution but he doesn’t listen.
“Don’t you realize it was Elin who chose to come on Raid?”
“We were the ones that kept her alive,” someone else growls from beside me. Briar steps up.
“As men you are all responsible for your actions. If you want to join Vern, be my guest. It will speak to what little honor you posses,” Tarben looks at Welch, then Briar, and finally at me.
Briar steps out from his spot and glares at Tarben.
“I will not sail back to Havredal as a coward,” Briar hisses.
The deck is silent. No man aboard the ship so much as whispers.
“You don’t know the trail of blood that will be left if we sail into the region of Antrapar.”
“You’re right, I don’t. But the moment we let people steal from us, it won’t end,” Briar replies.
“The boy speaks truth,” someone murmurs from behind me.
“Stealing the chieftain’s daughter. Isn’t that what we did to the Thralls in Gamgin?” A familiar voice asks from the helm. My eyes widen as I turn to see Gunnar leaning against the railing.
“Why is it that the first to flee back to the village will be us?” Someone else shouts. Tarben looks adamant.
“Perhaps I should slaughter you all now and save you the trouble of sailing into Antrapar!” The chief shouts.
“Enough!” Östen bellows. “All in favor of sailing on Antrapar!? Say aye.”
A few shouts of agreement echo through the group but not a large number.
“Oh, please. Like any man in their right mind wants to sail on Antrapar!” James mocks.
Tarben crosses his arms and leans against the mast.
“One ship sails to Antrapar, the rest return to Havredal.”
Briar is the first to step towards the gangway. Before he starts down it he turns to face Tarben.
“And to think, there are rumors spreading that Tarben the Great has a blade that’s grown dull. Perhaps the problem is that you’ve lost your sword all together,” Briar growls.
“Mock me when you survive Antrapar,” Tarben replies cooly.
I’m the next to follow Briar and Welch follows closely behind.
The three of us watch from the shore as the flag ship leads the fleet from the harbor. We’re left with the smallest boat, barely large enough to support the tall mast. The sun sets over the horizon as we watch and the chilly dusk air blankets the trading village.
“You shouldn’t have stayed with me,” I whisper. Briar turns to me angrily.
“Do not tell me what I should and shouldn’t do,” he threatens.
“May I, oh great one?” Welch leans against one of the dock posts. Welch receives a glare but I can tell Briar secretly appreciates the sarcasm.
“What’s the plan?” Welch asks casually, as if we’re simply deciding what to eat for breakfast. I wait for Briar to respond but he doesn’t.
“Come on, ladies. We can’t very well sleep on the docks,” Welch claps his hands. “Vern, got anything?”
“I didn’t know I was allowed to have a plan,” I mutter.
“Briar?” Welch asks.
“We could start by going to Antrapar,” Briar crosses his arms. “That is the reason we’re on this bloody island.”
Briar lowers himself down into our pathetic boat and Welch follows.
I stay standing on the deck.
“What’s wrong, chief?” Welch asks, sarcastically. Briar glares at me, a silent threat not to say anything against his ‘plan.’ I bite my lip.
“What?” Briar snaps.
“We don’t have a clue where Antrapar is,” I say carefully, hoping I hadn’t just pushed Briar off his mountain of ego.
“See,” Welch turns to Briar. He waves a finger in my direction. “This is why he’s the chief.”
Briar takes a deep breath and climbs back up to the dock. He starts marching towards the town. Welch looks up at me and shrugs.
I laugh and roll my eyes.
“You, my friend, have a death wish,” Welch laughs.
I offer him a hand and pull him up to the dock. Briar’s already to the end of the dock and I start to follow.
“I’m beginning to think we all do,” I say back to Welch.