Chapter 33

I look towards Max.
“Tell me that this isn’t why my parents left Antrapar,” I demand.
“Do you honestly think any of us are happy about this? Our parents died trying to get away from that,” he points at the village.
Max climbs up to the helm, refusing to speak to me.
I take a deep breath and turn back to the village. A bright yellow glow reflects off the blue water. The wind catches our sail, carrying us back towards our camp. I jump into the shallow water and scrub the sticky blood from my skin. After awhile I get around to cleaning the blood off my sword. The blood swirls off the weapon, dissolving into the clean water. I slog my way up onto the rocky shore towards the tent where I’d found the Keepers earlier. 
I drop my sword on the ground and slouch against the smooth pine bark. Max and Maverick unload the crates into the camp. I lean my head back, looking up into the sky. The smell of smoke hangs on the wind from the nearby village but there’s still no sign of the returning warriors.
The thud of a box on the ground grabs my attention. Max stands above me glowering.
“Thanks for all your help,” he sneers.
I roll my eyes and he turns on his heals back towards the boat. I stare at the crate and remember the pouch I had taken from the village. Lazily, I pull it out from my pocket, shaking out the contents. A small leather cord falls into my hand. At the end of the cord, hangs a single coin. I run my finger over the markings. Slowly, I pull the cord around my neck and let the coin fall into place. The small metal piece makes a high pitched clink as it hits my other necklace. I finger the other object. It was a ring. Vern’s ring. I clench my jaw. After what he did I should drop it into the ocean and leave him to fate.
I shake my head, upset I’d even had the thought. Vern will always mean more to me than that, no matter where he is.
~~
Vern

Fagerhult proves to be larger than I could have imagined. Rasmus explains in great detail of the, for lack of a better word, kingdom he controls. It isn’t like Antrapar at all.
“Fagerhult is spread out across much of southern Scandinavia. Nine major villages along the coast.” Rasmus spreads out a map in front of me. “That’s probably part of the reason we’ve had to turn to the Saxons for help.”
I pause, not sure if it’s my place to speak. In fact, it definitely isn’t but for whatever reason, Rasmus is treating me like a welcomed guest.
“If you refuse to talk I’ll let Mikael take you to the Rot.”
I don’t have a clue what that is but honestly, I’ll go out on a limb that it’s not a nice place.
“I’ll give you whatever you want if you let my friend go as a free man.”
Rasmus nods his head after a moments thought.
“You have my word.”
“Why would you ever need to ask the Saxons for anything?” I ask.
Rasmus laughs in my face. “I don’t want to deal with a war, ruthless as I am I will not drag my people through that.”
“So you don’t raid. You don’t want to fight. You’re just going to invite them into your home.”
Rasmus shoots me a dirty glare. “I know how Antrapar is. Raiding villages whenever you have the chance. Tearing down every last village you can get your hands on. That fate isn’t for Fagerhult.”
“And I assume you think obeying the Christians is a better option?”
“Watch your tongue,” Rasmus growls. “They have offered to help us join the villages.”
“More like take over,” another voice joins us.
“I trust you have a good reason for leaving your post Mikael,” Rasmus threatens.
“Saxon ships have been spotted.” Mikael casts me a suspicious glance. “You’re telling him everything. We are on the verge of complete destitute and you’re putting all your faith in a stranger,” Mikael grumbles in a quiet voice.
Rasmus looks conflicted between screaming at Mikael or agreeing with him.
“Sir, we have no choice. They are here.”
“I don’t understand the problem,” I shake my head.
“Two years ago a pact was made between the Saxons and Fagerhult. It was meant to keep peace. Now, our word isn’t good enough for them. They want control of the channel.”
“If we lose that channel, we can’t get to some of the villages,” Mikael supplies.
“We have already lost control according to them! Useless cretins,” Rasmus yells.