Chapter 26

At some point, I must fall asleep because the next thing I remember is Kori shaking me awake early the next morning. I can barely open my eyes I'm so tired.
"I'm going out hunting. You want to come?" She asks.
I yawn. "I never want to go hunting. Is it even dawn yet?"
"I don't know." Kori shrugs. "Probably not."
"I pray to the gods for the day you let me sleep past dawn," I groan. Slowly, I slide out of bed and step into my boots. Kori grabs her bow and swings a quiver full of arrows onto her shoulder.
"If that's what you're praying for, it explains why your life is so problematic," Kori laughs. I glare at her and finish lacing up my shoes. I belt my sword on and follow Kori out the door.
My prediction was right, it's still dark outside. The fire in the center of the village smolders, barely giving off any heat. Our trek to the woods is made in the moonlight. We weave through the boulders and Kori stops along a small brook. As she stops to drink, I look out over the land beyond. Movement catches my glance.
"Kori," I warn. She looks up, now seeing the large wolf that comes for us. I back away toward the rocks. Kori stays knelt down, staring at the animal.  
"Kori," I say again, wishing she would move away.
"Will you shut up?" Kori hisses. "You're going to scare her!"
“Oh, I'm going to scare her?" I ask, sarcastically. The wolf takes a few more steps toward Kori and then, amazingly, sits down. Kori sighs and turns to me.
“Elin, this is Nala,” she gestures towards the wolf.  Kori waits for my response. I don’t speak and I definitely don’t come out from my hiding place. The wolf stands and starts walking slowly towards me. I back further away but it hardly helps. I rest a hand on my sword.
“Elin,” Kori starts. The large wolf is now only a few feet away. “Don’t be afraid. She won’t hurt you.”
“I’m supposed to take your word for it?” I exclaim, louder than I should have. Nala bares her teeth.
That’s it. I’m not going to get eaten.
I draw my sword and hold it between the animal and I.
“Elin don’t!” Kori shouts. She runs past the wolf and smacks the blade from my hand.
“Are you insane?” I gasp. Kori rolls her eyes. By the time I look back, the wolf is gone.
“I can’t believe you would do that!” Kori rants. My eyes widen.
“Do what? It’s a wolf!”
For a second, I think she’s furious but then Kori starts laughing.
“What’s so funny?” I ask, completely confused.
“Maverick’s speech really got you that worried?”
“Well, yeah,” I shrug.
“The wolves aren’t a threat. Or, at least Nala’s pack isn’t.”
Kori laughs again and heads back into the woods. I grab my sword and follow her. The first rays of sunlight stream through the golden leaves making the whole area appear to glow. Kori’s already halfway up a tree and waves for me to catch up.
I sigh and jump up, just barely catching the lowest branch.
Kori sits perched between two branches, scanning the forest floor.
“What do you mean, the wolves aren’t a threat?” I ask, finally reaching her level.
“Alright, listen up. If you’re going to be part of the family, you need to catch on to some of the tricks. The wolves, they’re nothing more than a trick to keep everybody working.”
I can’t believe what I’m hearing. Less than ten hours ago I’d watched even Briar back down at the thought of being left out to a pack of wolves, come to find out it’s all some rehearsed joke. Then again, the more I think about it, it actually makes sense. The only part I don’t get is why Kori would tell me.
Kori must read my mind.
“Don’t you dare tell anyone,” she threatens.
“You trust me?” I ask, smugly.
“Nah, you’re still a Thrall from Havredal. But, you chose to stay. That’s more than I thought you’d do.”
I shrug, not sure whether I should be thankful or offended. Kori suddenly grabs her bow and loads an arrow onto the drawstring. A small fox sniff along the bushes, unaware of our presence. Kori pulls back and releases the arrow. A moment later, the fox drops to ground. Kori rushes to the forest floor, practically swinging down the branches.
We walk into the village where everyone is just starting to wake up and wander towards the meal hall. A few people sit around the fire, one of them being Welch. He stands as soon as he notices us coming.
“Do you two ever sleep?” Welch asks.
“No,” I grumble.
Kori ignores the question and shoves the fox into Welch’s arms.
“I want this skinned and brought back by tonight,” she demands.
“You’re pretty and you can hunt,” Welch grins like an idiot. I roll my eyes. This was a new low.
“And you’re obnoxious and will never marry. Are you going to skin the fox or not?” Kori asks, unamused. Welch sighs.
“What else do I have to live for?”
Welch saunters off to complete his task. I look over the quiet villagebefore turning to escape back into my home. I go to sleep that night more content then I’ve been in a long time.