Part 9

Motherfucker.

He stared down at his reflection, rage flaring in his eyes. He didn't do the fucking grunt work. He didn't go in the streets and humiliate himself. He'd done the work, he'd proven himself. Except - his men got overwhelmed and he wasn't about to let the fucking Devil show them up.

Then he fell for it like a fucking fool.

At least he took down some of those fuckers - and then some ran like the sewer rats that they were.

If the humiliation for falling for that cheap trick wasn't enough... he called her.

He knew that she had sounded legit - a real innocent girl. But he hadn't been able to prove it. He had to admit: this sort of did the trick. She could have finished him off, he had been an easy target. She could have called whoever when he was out cold in her bed. She didn't. She nursed him back to health.

It could still be a trick - he knew that. Lure him in a false sense of confidence - but no one was that good of an actress. He'd seen her eyes, the fear. This was not her world.

That was a piece of good news. She was like clay; he could mold her as he wanted. He could take advantage, he could wry her dry and get everything he needed from her. He could fool her, he could swindle her. He'd get everything from her grandfather and then he'd be done with her. Maybe get some perks in the middle.

Nothing being held over their heads, nothing out in the world that might come back to bite them in the ass. He'd get it all, and he'd dispose of it...

And her?

She was all his to corrupt, to take. Now he would have some fun.

***

Her mother's stubbornness. It was the whole reason she was in this car, on her way to Niccolo. Yes. That was the reason. Since she could not share with Mia what Niccolo was, it forced her to contact Leo, her newly added contact. It was better than asking Niccolo.

It would have come with some comment or whatnot and she wanted to avoid that - because he was fine. So he would reply. She had to awkwardly ask Leo the address so she could drop off the chicken soup. He had not provided her with the address. Instead, he had supplied a car.

Surprise, surprise, the car came with a catch; she had to be blindfolded as to not be able to see where they were heading. Considering the lack of sleep she had gotten during the past two nights, she was dizzy and nauseous from her sight being taken from her. The way there felt like it was taking forever.

Eventually, the car came to a stop.

"You can remove the blindfold now, Miss."

She had recognized the boy when he had shown up at her house. Teo. He was the one who would drive her to her lessons. She did as he told her and put it down on the seat. She had grown accustomed to the car service and knew it was pointless to try to open the door for herself; he would do it for her.

She stepped out of the car, a bowl of soup in her hand while there was another in a blue bag hanging from her arm. As she observed her surroundings, it left her breathless. Was this a - mansion? The width of the house stretched too far for her to see the edge and she had to nearly break her neck backward if she wanted to see the roof of the house.

It was not a recent construction; she could easily tell. The front was surrounded by a garden filled with colorful flowers, small bushes, and plants she did not even recognize. This was where Niccolo lived? She hoped not by himself. Who needed so much space?