Part 4

Three weeks went by, and her birthday was standing right in front of me.
It was the morning of October 28th and I got ready for school. I tried to dress up a little more special for May's birthday, but I decided that the wide jeans and the sweatshirts I was wearing every day is what she got to know me in, and our styles were matching pretty good, so I just put on a blue baggy jean and my favourite sweater.                                                                                         

I met May in school and gave her a tight hug. When I let go, I pulled out the birthday gift that I got her. It was the book she'd been talking about for weeks and a birthday card on top. She got so excited and gave me another hug. After school, we went to the café that I picked for her birthday. "Ralph's Coffee" has been my favourite café ever since we moved here when I was five years old. My parents are friends with the owner, so he greeted us friendly when we entered the store. We sat down and May was astounded by how it looked in there. I think it looks a little bit like a castle, they used white and green colours to design it.                                                                                                                      May was drinking an iced-latte and I had an iced-americano. We were enjoying each other's presence while talking about how beautiful New York is.
After finishing our drinks, I paid for both, and we decided to go for a walk.                                                                                           

Halloween decoration was hanging around everywhere, the warm wind supported the orange leaves with giving a perfect fall feeling and making New York look even more perfect than it already was.
Suddenly May said: "I really enjoyed this. And again, thank you for inviting me." I felt a good form of tension building up, something special was about to happen.
"I enjoyed it as well!" I spoke. "Maybe we should do this more often." May giggled and said "We definitely should. That was probably the most exciting thing I did in those six weeks here." I smiled. A lot of thoughts were floating through my head, but none of us said anything. Until May broke the silence.

"Weird question but uhm, was this a date?"                 

My heart stopped.