Chapter 3: a School and a Play

The rest of the party was a blur. Nate and Amanda hooked up. Emily ended up asleep and hurried under everyones coats and it took an hour to find her, Jake and Maddie talked but Maddie was way to drunk to actually try and he wasn't going to either, and who knows what Oliver and Logan got into.

Maddie spent the weekend at Emilys house since her mom had called and said she had to go to Kyoto for something or other. Maddie loved staying at Emilys house because even if it was a tad smaller than hers and it wasn't as fancy, her mother was a sweetie and her little brother Theo was like her besets friend, even if she didn't love most kids. Even Emilys dad was nice. He came home for dinner sometimes, and it was just a very warm atmosphere. Just like Emily.

They arrived early on Monday to school and were by the locker rooms when Regina French, a freshmen who knew Emily from volunteering rushed to them.

"Apparently they are bringing back the annual Yale play now that the school is over their feud with them."

This was a huge deal at Syre. Syre had agreements with many Ivy Leagues, including Harvard, Stanford and Brown, but had fallen out with Yale for about 4 years now, which meant all the funding for the big end of the year play had been put on hold. The play was important because if you were elected lead role and did well, Yale gave you a full ride acceptance as long as you acted in their drama department. Not that the money was an issue, but being accepted just like that to a university like Yale was a dream for most of these lazy kids. 

"No way Maddie"! - Emily said. - "You have to audition."

"Fuck yes! Im so happy they fixed their stupid feud. You know it was about something to do with a teacher bad mouthing Yale while she was drunk?"

"What?" - Emily said, but weakly. She looked dizzy.

"Em!" - Maddie said. "Are you okay?"

Emily felt nauseous and tripped on her own feet but Maddie caught her.

"Em!!"

Slowly, Em began to regain balance and look less green.

"Em what the fuck?! Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah sorry. Probably the eggs this morning." - She was completely steady now. - "So what did you hear? A teacher?"

"Yeah, I don't know that's what I heard. Are you sure you are okay?"

"Im sure Mads. Now where is Amanda we have to tell her."

"Late as always. I wonder what the play is."

"Whatever it is Ill be the lead Di." - Logan Huxleys voice catched up with them as he walked towards them through the hall.

Maddie gave him the finger and dragged Emily with her to homeroom, which unfortunately was were Logan was headed too.

"Morning kids" said Mr. Stubbs, their homeroom teacher. "We have a very exciting announcement to make today"

Whispers all over the classroom raced, not only because people were excited about the play but because people knew this whole week all they would be doing is the play. Less schoolwork is always welcomed.

"Today, after 4 years, we finally closed our agreement with Yale University and the Yale Summer Play Production is officially back on!"

Some cheers were shouted, especially by Oliver Grace. And Maddie could see Logan chuckling. He was so annoying.

"The play," - continued Mr

"The play," - continued Mr. Stubbs, "Seeing as it is a very special play, will be a favourite of our very own director, The Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare!"

"Isn't that what She's the Man based about?" - Emily leaned in to ask.

Maddie nodded, excitement bubbling in her. She loved that play, and would love to play Viola. She would love to act just about anything right now, after not being able to for years, since this was her only outlet to do so. After Mr. Stubbs explaining when auditions were and when, the bell rand and they all spilled out of class excitedly. Even those who had nothing to do with it were aware it was an event worth being excited for. Syre had never spared any expense for these plays. Directors were sometimes even famous.

"You will totally be Viola" - Amanda said as they left the class.

"Yeah right. - Logans voice catched up to them.

"I hope you are not auditioning Huxley you don't have it in you." - Maddie instigated.

"Oh really?"

"Come on Mad we are going to be late for class." - Amanda said, looking at Nate who just rolled his eyes.

"Ill catch up."

This shut everybody up and they all left leaving her alone with Logan.

"You know you can't possibly get that role Di. Viola is supposed to be hot."

"As long as you are not the Duke I can too play Viola. Oh wait. You cannot act. Guess I have nothing to worry about."

You could see Logans nostrils starting to flare. She could anger him like no one could. he approached her hastily leaving her back pressed to the lockers.

"Oh but I will Di. Just to fuck with you."

"You would like that wouldn't you."

"You ever notice how you turn everything into a sexual innuendo Maddie? Is it your subconscious desire to fuck me?

"I fucking hate you Logan the last thing I want to do is fuck you."

"There is a fine line between hate and love sweetheart. If you truly wanted nothing to do with me you wouldn't hate me so much" - Logan ended with, retreating from the lockers and walking to class giving Maddie space to catch her breath. 

"You hate me too, idiot. Good self burn." - she said before he was out of earshot.

Both their hearts were beating like drums, temper flaring. Maddie really really hopes she would get Viola. But even more powerfully she hoped that Logan would not really audition. He had expressed interest in plays but not acting per se. He couldn't be any good. She had to chill out. Whatever. Even if they both got it it would just be another chance to fight. As if they didn't do it enough.