Episode 7.4 - Still Hungry

William could never have imagined in a million years the being that would rise from the ashes.

A massive, fleshy mass, covered with crimson bubbles and ridges. Several eyes and mouths sprouted as it grew larger, the mouths ringed with deathly sharp teeth, the eyes bloodshot and bulbous. It oozed from the lava where the Guide had fallen, stretching up to the very ceiling of the Underworld, forming a massive wall in front of them.

Fitting, considering the label that appeared when William stared at it. 'Wall of Flesh – 11200/11200'.

"What the cactus..." Sid gasped, looking lost for words. A reaction William had never seen on him.

He glanced at Robyn, who looked similarly stunned, then at Meg, whose head was turned backwards.

The fireball that hit Andrew, William couldn't help thinking. Meg was trying to see where it had come from. Its trajectory suggested it had come from somewhere in the ceiling, from one of the many ash pillars behind them.

But there was nothing. No-one that could have unleashed the flame of death.

We've got a bigger problem to deal with though.

A VERY big problem.

The Wall of Flesh.

A being that appeared to be the culmination of the essence of the Crimson.

Dozens of red tendrils stretched forward from the Wall, each with a biting mouth on the end of them. They reached forward, their mouths grasping for something to feed on.

At that moment they were all reaching for Hayley, who still stood in shocked silence.

"Hayley!" William shouted, rushing forward. Three of the grabbing mouths – named The Hungry according to their labels – were about to chomp down into her, had he not swept his Night's Edge and knocked them all away.

"We've got to bring this thing down!" he shouted. He twirled his Sunfury, the flaming spiky ball on a chain spinning fast, and slung it out for some more damage to The Hungry, the Sunfury's blaze setting them on fire.

"Everyone drink the potions I gave you!" Meg shouted.

William quickly reached into his inventory to do what he said, starting with the Inferno Potion she had found for him in a Shadow Chest earlier. A bright ring of fire burst out around him, lashing at The Hungry that were reaching for him.

"Woah, that is so cool, dude!" Sid exclaimed. "I want one!"

Several of the other Hungry reached over William's head to try to bite into the others, but they were all ready. Robyn was the first to spring into action, the call to battle overwriting whatever emotions were keeping her subdued. Her Hellwing Bow hummed as it launched a swarm of magical flaming bats at The Hungry, pushing them backwards. Sid's Imps shot fireballs into the fray while Meg cast fiery bolts using her Flamelash. Even the Witch Doctor and Golfer were getting in on the action, Zop'a firing darts from his blowgun, and the Golfer doing what he did best.

"The Wall's coming towards us!" Meg cried.

William glanced at it and with a sickening feeling realised she was right. He grabbed the Zoologist by the arm and pulled her backwards, slicing at more Hungry that tried to bite at them. Before too long the Wall had oozed onto the ledge, engulfing the spot where she had been standing. And it didn't stop there.

"Harry! Zop'a! Keep Hayley safe!" William shouted, thrusting the panicked Zoologist at them.

He heard a new, unfamiliar sound, and spun around to see bright purple lasers were being shot out of the Wall's many eyes. The lasers that impacted with the ground sent up clouds of ash, and one hit Sid's side.