CHAPTER 4

Back at the yard Angel shrugs off his kutte and starts helping EZ on the bike he was working on. "So, how'd that go?" Angel picks up a wrench and hands it to EZ. He was happy they seemed to resolve their fight quickly, but not happy that EZ had lied to make it an issue in the first place. Angel knew Cass's past and he knew lying was one thing she would never tolerate.

"I just told her what Bishop wanted. Not that I needed money or why. Think you can keep that secret from her?" EZ looks at him accusingly.

Angel looks hurt and defensively counters, "I can keep secrets."

"You and Cass legitimately read each other's minds." EZ looks at him doubtful.

Angel laughs since he knows EZ was right. Angel is confident the look he gave Cass when she was about to rip into EZ is the reason she backed down. "I mean, I'm just usually thinking about food and she's usually cooking, it works out."

"Fair enough." Now EZ laughs. He knew Angel and Cass were practically telepathic with each other far beyond food, but he trusted that his brother would be able to keep this from her.

"Ezekiel, you break that girl's heart. I'll pull the trigger myself." Angel gives him a serious look, ending the lighthearted banter. EZ loved how protective Angel was of Cass, it had brought he and Angel closer than they had been in years. They felt like she filled a missing piece in their family, not that their mother could ever be replaced, but Cass was a nurturing figure they all needed.

"I know you will." EZ returns Angels serious gaze. "I gotta ask you a question. A favor sort of."

"I will keep the secret." Angel shakes his head and continues to work on the bike.

"No, not that." EZ stops working, trying to focus Angel's attention on the conversation instead of the bike.

Angel looks up at him. He also had a bit of telepathy with his brother, and knew what was really coming. He knew it was a conversation EZ had wanted to have since Cass had moved to Santo Padre, but he avoided it, feeling it was unnecessary. Instead he says, "I'll be your best man."

"No. Well, yea, I mean, yes. I would like you to be my best man, but I just want to say...Last week, that thing in San Bernadino, if something ever happens to me..." EZ is momentarily thrown off by Angel's statement, but before he can finish his speech that he had been rehearsing for months Angel cuts him off again.

"Nope. Don't even say it. You don't need to." Angel turns away from him again, looking down at the bike.

"Take care of her." EZ stands there and says it anyway. Angel keeps working, but continues to listen knowing EZ won't stop. "The way she spun out with Juice. Don't let her close the door. Don't let her give up. Don't let her be alone."

Angel finally turns back to him and puts a hand on his shoulder holding eye contact, "I got her, always."

"Yea, thanks." EZ nods his head, sniffs and turns away, briefly overcome with emotion. There was a lot more he wanted to say about it, but from the look in Angel's eyes he understands that he doesn't have to say more. Angel releases him and they both go back to work. Angel can't let the seriousness hang in the air though so he decides to add his own terms to the agreement.

"Listen though, the second time around that happens, she comes for me, I'm not saying no again. I learned my lesson last time. So, if you want to avoid your ghost ass seeing us together, don't end up dead." Angel looks up at him smirking.