The Competition (Part 1)

"Hey" hands grabbed the top of my head. I knew immediately it was Kendall. I looked up but she moved over to sit in the open seat next to me across the aisle.

"What's up" she sounded like a concerned friend.

"Nothing, just tired" I said shifting my legs over the side ledge of the seat. She waited a little and it looked like she was gonna ask me something else. But she didn't. It was true that I was tired, and I didn't have much else to say. I sat back to the chair while my eyes drifted away from Kendall and to the seat diagnol from me. I zoned off. Kendall was watching me but she knew not to say anything else.

There had been times before when I had been tired, not your average I stayed up too late last night tired, but the kind of tired where your whole body aches and it takes everything in you to keep your eyes open. Lately there had been a lot of this kind of tired. But right now I wasn't overworked or anything. I was tired for a different reason.

I was tired of being me. I was tired of being let down, of things never going my way. That sounds selfish, I know.

Kendall stayed next to me for the rest of the bus ride. She left Gino in the back, two rows behind for the 20 minute remainder of time until we reached the comp site. When we arrived I poked Jojo to let her know. Of course she didn't fully wake up until a few good shakes an elbow to the arm.

"Ow!" she yelled.

"Sorry you wouldn't wake up!" I laughed along with her and Kendall.

Kalani, Kenz, and Nia made their way up the bus towards the entrance. Gino followed close behind with his navy blue backpack slung over his right shoulder.

"Listen up!" Gianna attempted to get our attention. After a few minutes we stopped getting our stuff together and talking, and listened.

"Okay the crowd out there's pretty big. We're just gonna walk out, no stopping, make sure you smile big and wave" Abby repeated this same message every week. And we followed it, each lining up to get out the bus and in the building.

I had a little more trouble than I anticipated getting the boxy bag down the stairs. But I managed fine without needing any help from Gino and his wandering hand. Somehow he had passed through Kalani, Kenzie, and Nia and was now trailing closely behind me and Kendall. When I took the last step out of the bus I was shocked. Every person was holding up in their hand an apple. At first I didn't understand. But then I saw Cathy and knew it was just another stupid ploy by her. We didn't let her affect us. We smiled and waved as Abby commanded and quickly made our way into the building and then after a few minutes of searching settled into our dressing room.

I took the mirror and table in the middle, Kendall went across from me, and Gino dropped his things (his backpack and nothing else) on to the vanity next to mine in the far corner. I neatly arranged all my possessions on to the small rack. My makeup alone took up the entire thing.

"Thatssss..alotta stuff," Gino said to me as I continued neatly placing each eyeliner, lipstick, and mascara out. I stopped stacking for a moment and smiled at him then scoffed to show that he didn't understand.

"If you run out of space, which I think ya will, your free to use mine" he offered nicely while taking a seat in the black chair next to him.

"Thanks" I answered scooting over to his empty table. He sat behind me as I finished unpacking.

Just before I was done the rest of the team walked in. I saw that my mom was carrying a program and quickly walked over to her.

"Mom, program?" I asked waiting patiently for her to hand it over. When she finally did I looked it over scanning for my name. I found it next to Gino Coscuella. We were scheduled to perform first of the duet/trio category. Under us was two dancers from Candy Apples, also performing a duet.

"The wicked witch of the west is doing a duet!" Jill announced what I had just learned. Gino looked up from his phone but didn't look too concerned or nervous. I stood in the middle of the room. I had been nawing on my nails until I realized and quickly stopped.

"Gino! Maddie!" Ms. Abby called out our names. "You know what that means. You better go out there and beat those kids!"

I bit my lip and looked over at Gino who was nodding his head up and down at Ms. Abby.

"Okay you guys are going on first, in 15 minutes so lets go. Maddie are you ready?" she looked over at me.

"Yes I just have to change into my costume" I said looking over at the changing closet.

"Ok Maddie go ahead in the changing room and Gino get your shirt on."

I held the black laced red leotard/dress up. It was the second time I had seen the costume. It was one of the prettier costumes I had worn this season. I liked the way it fit too. It took me some time to get it on though but went it was on I felt like a new person. It was amazing how simply putting on a costume could transform you into the character you were playing. As soon as I put on any costume, I became who I was meant to be. But it would still be me in my body, dancing with Gino up on that stage, and my lips kissing his.

I walked out of the curtained changing room with this thought left lingering in my head. The first thing I saw was Kalani using her big poofy brush to apply her face make up, then I noticed Gino in the background still by his table, which I had taken over, buttoning up his shirt. I couldn't help but peek at his chest, from what I could see it looked like he had a decent six pack formation. He looked up and saw me staring. I looked away quickly and let my eyes drift off so it didn't look like I was staring.

"Ooooo, Maddie beautiful costume" Abby walked over to me smiling her big smile and gave me an even bigger hug.

"Gino get that tie on and get over here!" she held out her arm and motioned for Gino.

He quickly threw on his tie and completely put it on wrong. It dangled crookedly to the side.

"Perfect! Now stand next to each other and..smile!" my mom and Abby held out their phones to take pictures. Me and Gino stood holding each other's arms awkwardly. After many camera clicks, the picture taking was finally finished with. We were dismissed and shooed off into the hallway outside the stage.

I looked at Gino and noticed again that his tie wasn't straight. I couldn't help myself I had to fix it.

When he stood still I reached my arms over his neck without warning. I probably should've told him I was fixing his tie and not just wrapping my arms around his neck casually. He looked very confused for a second but then placed his hands around my back. I didn't back away or say anything I was too surprised. But then I fixed his tie with my fingers moving quickly and straightened it out. When i was done I leaned in and we shared a final hug before going on stage, all the while his arms remained around me. Right before the trio before us was finished I pulled away from the hug.

Looking up at him I said, "We got this okay. We can do it."

"I know. I"m ready, we're ready." he replied with his little smirk.