Part 13

The new cold front was coming through now, and a blizzard was raging outside. Everyone was huddled inside the farmhouse trying to keep warm and find things to do. There was a fireplace in the living room and there was a fire burning just for the occasion.

They were mainly watching TV to see how long this storm was going to last and how much snow they were going to get. The report said there could be up to a foot of snow with a mix of freezing rain too. That was an issue. They'd be lucky if they didn't lose power.

It was the middle of the day at the moment. After the weather report, they went on to watch other programs. Donny went to his new lab to work on some stuff. He would work more on the infirmary later. He was still getting it set up, but he had everything clean and sterile in there. Now he was working on a generator that would keep the electricity running in case the house lost power.

Donatello was now beginning his 25th week. April would be bringing Jane up as soon as she could, but for now, it was too dangerous to do that. Jane had a portable ultrasound machine she planned to bring with her and set up in the infirmary.

Don looked through his baby books for name ideas. He still hadn't picked any, but he knew he needed to. His family had been offering their own suggestions.

Donatello had looked up his own name, which meant 'gift.' He knew he had a gift for being a genius, and he wanted the names that he chose for his children to be appropriate and meaningful as well. He was taking the decisions very seriously.

In his room at bedtimes, he had started reading to the twins. They were often at their most active just when he was trying to relax. When he knew that he wouldn't be able to fall asleep right away, Donny would pick up a book and start reading to them. He had read that they could hear his voice. He was sure that it was true because they usually calmed down as if they were trying to listen to him read.

Mike still wanted to feel the twins move. Donny was a little protective of his belly, but he knew Mike meant no harm. He would sometimes let him when they were being active.

It was a little hard to feel them through his plastron. But, it was easier to feel them move through his sides. Mike did feel them that way a few times.

"I can't wait to meet them," Mike told Donatello. "Does the kicking hurt?"

"No, but it feels strange for sure, and I have no control over it," Don explained.

"I wonder if they can hear me?" Mike asked.

"The books say they can," Don replied.

"I want to try it." Mike got near Don's belly and spoke, "Hi there, little twin-sters. It's your Uncle Michelangelo. I want to meet ya soon."

Donatello looked down at his brother, then he felt a big jolt inside him. It might have been a jump from a baby.

"Michelangelo! I think the baby heard you!" Don said excitedly.

"Really? Awesome, dude!" Mike was thrilled that his nieces or nephews were hearing him.

Donny felt it again. It made him put his hands on his stomach. "I think your voice is startling them though. Just keep your voice calm, okay? I really don't want to feel like they are going to come out of me just yet."

Mike then put a hand on his bro's stomach. He just wanted to feel the babies moving. "I'll give you two the most awesome pizza someday."

Donatello could feel the movement, but Mike couldn't through Don's plastron. Then, Donny felt a kick in the side.

"Here, Michelangelo, put your hand on my side," Don instructed.

Mike did so and within a moment, there was a kick. "Whoa! That is so cool, Donatello."