Chapter 1

Brian's pov

"Mr Darby? It's your turn for the interview," the old woman at the desk said and I stood up, "thanks lass," I replied and went in.

"So, you're really one of the best they could send?" Mr Litt asked with a groan "maybe actually give me the chance to show you what I can fuckin do and then you can judge my ability as a lawyer, got it lad?" I replied "I don't entirely care about your ability as a lawyer, I wanna know about your personality. What's your opinion on theatre?" He asked "I grew up with theatre, I love it," I stated "what about mudding?" "I've never done it before, but I'm willing to try it," "then you have the job, you're my new associate," Mr Litt said. He got up but I put my hands out, we shook hands and I could see he was happy "please can I tell the people out there to leave Mr Litt?" I asked "yes you may, and please, call me Louis," I nodded and walked to the door. "Listen here ya cunts, go home before you get an iron fist in the balls," I ordered and they all hastily left "we're gonna get on really well," Louis said and began showing me around the firm.

"So this is the bullpen with all of your new fellow associates, and I'm head of the associates isn't that cool?" Louis stated "I requested an answer," he added "it's great mate, now how long before I can do work?" I replied. He gave me a cubicle and a pro-bono case, "get it done by yesterday," he ordered and left. "So, you're Louis' new associate huh? I feel somewhat bad for you but you got yourself into this situation," a ginger haired lady said coming over to me "let me guess... your name is Donna, you're the Specter guy's secretary, you want to be an actress and can read people?" I asked looking up at her and saw a surprised look on her face "are you a stalker?" She said "nope, I can just read people really well, also Norma told me," I replied with a chuckle "I'm Brian by the way," I added and we shook hands. "Where are you from? I don't recognise your accent," she asked "England, Newcastle to be specific," I answered "I thought all people from England had posh accents, weird right?" "I doubt you'll find many posh people anymore," Donna left and I began working the case.

When I got through the whole file, which was surprisingly big, and stood up. "Excuse me Sir, but who are you?" A tall black woman asked coming over to me "I'm Brian Darby, Louis Litt's new associate, may I help you?" I asked "yes, you can explain why you're holding the case file I gave to Louis to work on," "I take it you're Jessica Pearson. Well he gave it to me to work on, I've figured out a way to win it and I'm on my way to work out a settlement," I explained "I take it this is your first day. Would you mind taking me through your plan?" Miss Pearson asked "I'll take you through it when I win this goddamn case, it may just be housing court but I'm gonna rip the landlord of every penny they own," I replied and left.

Jessica's pov

"Louis, why is your new associate doing the case I gave you?" I asked walking into Louis's office "I gave it to him so he can get some experience from a pro, when he's got a plan we're gonna go over it and wipe the floor with the opposition," he said "well then you're gonna have to catch up with him because he's already left to speak to the landlord," I replied and Louis immediately stood up. "Goddammit Jessica why wouldn't you stop him?!" "I didn't stop him because I immediately saw that I wasn't going to be able to," I replied and he left. I chuckled and went over to Harvey's office. "Harvey, what are you working on?" I asked but saw him and Mike are throwing balls of paper into the trash can "okay, nothing," I muttered. "Oh we were just gonna get to work when we were done," Harvey replied, I shook my head and walked over with a case file. "This is what I want you to work on," I said and Mike took it "it looks easy enough," Mike stated and I left.

Brian's pov

I knocked on the door and soon enough a woman came to the door. "Excuse me are you Mrs Smith?" I asked "yeah I am, who are you?" She replied "my name is Brian Darby and I'm with PearsonHardman, and I'm here to talk to you about a settlement for your tenant," I stated. She let me in and she brought me into her living room, we sat down on her couch and began. "So am I correct in thinking that you've upped the rent cost?" I asked "well, yes I have, because I had to keep up with the other apartments in the area," she stated "well, are you aware that your tenant is on minimum wage and has two kids under five?" I asked "yes I was, but how-" "when you have a tenant like that and are aware of their situation and you up the price of rent it's actually a violation of housing laws," I interrupted "no it's not, if it is then-" "it was introduced not long after the end of World War 2," "so... what is it I have to do?" "You have to, by law, give them the chance to find a new job," I answered "so... I have to wait another month for rent?" "Yes you do, I also had a look at the living conditions, those also don't meet standard meaning they don't have to pay rent under those conditions," I explained "but-" "no buts, either you both bring your rent back down to what it was before and get the living conditions back up to standard, or you leave things the way they are don't get paid rent at all," I interrupted. "I'll go with your first terms, where do I sign?" "Oh and I'm also asking for $50,000 in compensation," I added "okay," she said and I got out the paperwork. She signed it and I stood up, "thank you ma'm, if you don't at least begin to meet these terms within the next month then expect a lawsuit," I said and left.
As I was walking down the street to my car I noticed Louis was arriving. "Listen here Brian, you follow my orders and- wait what's that in your hand?" He asked "they signed the contract, the tenant is also recieving $50,000 in compensation. So who's a good lawyer or what?" I said with a smirk "I gave you this 3 hours ago, how did you do it? This is amazing," "because it's my job, you want me to do another case that Jessica gave you to do?" I replied. I walked over to my car and got in, "wait... this is your car?" He asked getting next to me "yeah why?" I replied "it's amazing, I didn't think that someone of your age would- who's that?" Louis asked pointing to the picture on my dashboard "that's my younger sister, she's part of the reason I became a lawyer," I explained "why did something happen?" He asked as I began driving "she was sexually assaulted in my final year of secondary school, I was originally planning on being an author but changed my mind last minute," I explained.

Word count: 1291