Chapter Five : The Pizza Recipe

Vinny's Mazda Astina felt scorching all of a sudden

Vinny's Mazda Astina felt scorching all of a sudden.  The windshield wipers chatter from the storm.  There was only static from the radio and Vinny's senses felt like vortex into her chest. 

Nicole Yangco had kissed her fully.   She could still taste the older woman's salty tears as their mouths collided.  She could hear her ragged breaths suppressing the sobs.  She still smelled of wine and freesias. 

Then Nicole slowly bowed down her head, she let out a heavy whimper as she broke away from their kiss.

"Gusto ko lang tumakas.  I just want to feel something else..."

She was sobbing. Loudly. As if she had her soul dragged out of her skin.

Vinny clenched her jaw and exhaled loudly, rummaging through her glove compartment to find a mini Kleenex packet. She handed the tissues to Nicole, acting detached as if they had not kissed minutes earlier.

"I—- I am sorry.  Desperada na naman ako, throwing myself to a practical stranger," Nicole said in between her heaving. 

Vinny was quiet, facing the steering wheel.  Starting the car, while they moved through the torrential rain.  Driving through in silence.

Having no reaction again. Cold. Out of touch. Mechanical.  

"I guess grabe ang coincidence na nagkita tayo sa Chinese restaurant?" Nicole asked, trying to lighten up the mood, her face still wet with so much tears.

"Wala namang super rare coincidence, Ma'am. May basic rule ang probability – that even rare events are sure to happen if given enough opportunities. Marami po tayong opportunities. Same work. Same circles. My clients go to the same place your kind goes to. Same popular restaurants," Vinny shrugged.

"Classic Maria Vincentia Martinez Biazon," Nicole laughed sarcastically.

But there was only silence again.

Nicole looked at Vinny who drove with ease as if nothing had happened. Her face bare and her shirt soaked, an awkward smirk crawled on her lips.

Time was passing and she chose a route not of judgment but of surprising silence and ease.