The Final Chapter: Did We Ever Love?

"Well, it sounds like you're in for an adventure then

"Well, it sounds like you're in for an adventure then. You headed to Istanbul?"

Vinny sighed in annoyance, her face in her usual blank expression.   She took off her headphones, her eyes squinting.  The young man looked around her age and he had a perpetual smile that made him look like a Simpsons character, Vinny thought.

"My name is Kyle Schultz.  I am meeting with some of my friends in Istanbul.  Since we are delayed for two hours, we can keep each other company?" He said it so enthusiastically as he awkwardly wiped his stubbled face, his blond facial hair distinct in his features.

"I do not really enjoy company.  I do not usually suffer through people," Vinny said innocently, her eyes wandering around.

"I mean —- you got an app? My buddy created an app too.  It is a fuckin' cool idea — you got this cow and you just keep tossing him in the air.  So funny," Kyle showed off his new iPhone, pointing at the cow game on his phone.

Vinny sighed.  She should be used to this, living in a suitcase for almost a year had her encounter so many Americans.  Not much had changed from her MIT days, they still did not listen much.

"Is your app for ferris wheels?"

"No," Vinny said gruffly.

"Where are you from? Where is home?"

"The Philippines."

"Damn. I know some friends from there.  Do you know James Gonzales?"

"With 109. 6 million people—- I will try to see if I know him," she was trying to be patient as she spoke.

"Did you just make that up?" Kyle laughed.

"No.  You can Google that," Vinny shrugged.

"So why are you so far away from home?  Did you just travel for a trip? Vacation? Work?"

"Someone once told me—— I am young. I can live. I can chase the world. Have an awfully big adventure. I guess you can say I listened," There was a certain melancholy in her eyes as she talked a-matter-of-factly. She said it with a bit of bitterness spreading throughout her tongue.

"Bad breakup with a boyfriend?" He teased, raising his eyebrows. Preparing to flirt more with Vinny.

"A girlfriend," Vinny corrected.

"Ohhh," Kyle scratched his head as he put two and two together.

She spun her ring as she clasped the headphones and tried to distract herself. She kept stimming with her ring, the ridges scraping her thumb.

Her eyes veered to the black ring. One of the only things she kept from Nicole.

She refused to read through the tags of a Google Doc.

It had been hundreds of tags. All starting with the elementary "Dear Vinny" in each one.

Vinny exhaled in exhaustion. Her long fingers typing up finally as she focused on her laptop screen. She added a comment on the Google Doc.