06: Just One Outburst

Sandra

Since Andrew has started working for his father a couple months ago, I had nothing but time when he wasn't home. While it was fun to have the whole place to myself four out of seven days of the week, it started to get old.

When I brought this to Andy's attention, he thought giving me a credit card would solve my problem. Ever since he started working, more money had been streaming in for the both of us. I had no idea what he did while he was at work, because he claimed he didn't want to talk about it.

Everyday he'd leave around seven in the morning and wouldn't return home until five in the afternoon. At first I thought it would be great that he'd be out all day, but it got boring fast. Not to mention whenever he arrived home, a sour mood always followed him. From the beginning, Andrew seemed to me like a grumpy person, but for some reason being around his dad a lot was causing him to have quite the attitude.

"I'm fine, Mama." I switch the home phone to my other ear. The laundry basket rest against my hip as I make my way to the laundry room.

"Are you sure, darlin'?" My mother asks, her southern drawl seems fainter over the phone. "You've been all sorts of peculiar lately."

"I'm sure," I assure her. "When you coming back up to New York? I haven't seen you since the wedding."

"You know your daddy and I want nothing more than to come over and visit you, but there's so much going on over here." There is another one of her famous excuses. I love my mom more than anyone, but her fear of the big city drives me crazy. She changes the subject. "Have you seen your Auntie Tania since you moved out?"

While I throw some dirty t-shirts in the washer, I reply, "Not much. I try to visit her and Uncle Todd every once in a while. Auntie Tania and I became close after you sent me up here."

That's what happens when you spend two years living with someone else's parents - they become yours almost more than your own. At first it was supposed to be just for a few months, but my grades were so much better over here that it became a permanent arrangement.

"My sister is indeed the older version of you, so that doesn't surprise me one bit!"

"I miss you, Mama." I close the lid of the washing machine and lean my weight against it. A tear escapes me and my left hand rubs my tummy. I sigh. My emotions have been up and down lately, and the hormones of pregnancy have decided to attack again.

"Awe, I miss you too, Sugar Plum!" A door slams in the background and then I hear Mama giggle. "Listen sweetheart, I gotta run. You say hello to that husband of yours for me. Toodles!"

Right once I hang up the phone, I hear the front door open - signaling my husband's return from another day of work. I make my way to the main room, Andrew's already pouring himself a scotch. The drink always seemed like something people in their later years would enjoy, but sometimes he acted older than he really is.

He downs the liquor in one go. As he lowers his glass, a dangerous spark ignites in his dark eyes. Next thing I know, the glass flies from his hand and falls to pieces against the wall only feet away from me.

My whole body tenses up, and I'm unable to move. A sharp breath is caught in the back of my throat. It takes him a few seconds to realize I'm standing there, but when he does, his eyes widen. The hard expression he is wearing softens a little, but the irritation doesn't go away.

"Sorry." Andrew clears his throat, and runs his hand through his hair. The ends stick up in all directions, creating the illusion of a bedhead. "I didn't see you."

I let out the air I was holding in. "What the hell is going on?"

Andrew drops down onto the couch and leans his head against the backrest cushion. I carefully maneuver my way around the broken shards that are sprawled all over the floor and hesitate before taking a seat next to him. He sends me a glance out of the corner of his eye, but doesn't move.