Chapter 16: Virtual Aerobics

"Hey a bunch of us are going to Venice beach tomorrow. Wanna come? Aubrey can come too!"

Natalie's heart fluttered when she read the text. She'd been seeing Braeden about twice a week, and they still weren't official yet. But the way he made her feel was very clear to her. Her heart leaped at the thought of hanging out with him.

Saturday Morning

Braeden picked up Natalie and Aubrey early in the morning. Braeden's friend Cade was also in the car.

"Nice to meet you," Natalie said.

"Likewise," Cade smiled, eyes hidden behind his sunglasses.

"We're gonna meet up with some of our other friends when we get there." Braeden said from the driver's seat.

When they arrived, two other cars full of Braeden's friends arrived, including Dylan and Cole, each with their girlfriends. Aubrey and Lydia seemed to click instantly.

Natalie was a little nervous about being in her swimsuit in front of Braeden. Even though she was thin and in good shape, she'd always been a little self conscious. The group claimed a spot in the sand and set up umbrellas and towels.

"Better put on sunscreen, you know you burn." Aubrey gently teased Natalie who was much more fair skinned.

Natalie began to dig through her beach bag for her sunscreen, but couldn't seem to find it.

"Here, you can use some of mine." Braeden offered.

She smiled and thanked him, taking the bottle from his hand. She squirted some in her palm and handed it back to him, applying it all over.

He chuckled at her, "Don't forget your shoulders and back." He said.

"Oh," she said, struggling. "Right."

"Here," he offered. "I can help you."

She turned around so her back was to him. He applied sunscreen to her shoulders, and she winced at the coldness.

"Sorry," he said, gently rubbing it onto her skin.

When he was finished Natalie turned around to face him, smiling behind her sunglasses. He cheekily swiped her nose with his finger, leaving a white streak behind.

"There," he smiled. "Now you're all done."

"You think you're so funny," she laughed.

"Your words, not mine," he joked.

Some of the group headed for the water and some stayed behind in the sand.

"Wanna play frisbee?" Cole asked.

"Alright," Natalie said, shrugging pleasantly.

They trudged through the water until it was about waist high. Cole threw the frisbee, and his girlfriend, Nina, dove for it. Then she passed it to Lydia's bandmate, Drew. Everyone was laughing, having a good time, messing around in the water.

Drew threw the frisbee straight toward Natalie. Braeden waded through the water, coming up behind her. Before she could catch it, he wrapped his arms around her, lifting her out of the water.

"Mine!" He yelled, managing to fumble with and catch the frisbee. 

He swung Natalie around for a moment. She screamed with joy as Braeden passed the frisbee back.

"What's yours? I sure hope you meant the frisbee." She chuckled.

"Course I did. You didn't think I meant you, did you?" He dramatically scoffed, flashing a flirty smile.

"Yeah, I was hoping you didn't ."

"Oh yeah?" He raised his eyebrows. "I'm gonna make you my girlfriend." He insisted.

"Oh, really?"

"Yep." He said, catching the frisbee. "Maybe not today, or tomorrow. Maybe not next week. But eventually."

She pursed her lips and nodded, not saying a word. She splashed him gently, smiling at him. She took in his slender features. His shaggy hair was matted to his forehead. Natalie pushed his hair back and out of his face. As she did this Braeden put a hand on her waist and almost seemed to pull her closer to him. Braeden's friends watched the two in awe throughout the morning as they flirted back and forth.

Natalie headed for the shore and sat with Lydia and Aubrey.

"Hey," Lydia said, happy to see her.

"What's up?" Natalie said.

Natalie had never met Lydia personally, and only saw her outside of the Whisky the night she and Aubrey went to see Wallows perform. Yet somehow she felt as though they were all one big group of friends.

"How's things going with B?" Lydia asked.

Natalie blushed, "Uhh, good." She said bashfully. "Really good."

"He really likes you." Lydia said. "He's crazy about you."

"I just really don't wanna rush anything, ya know? I like him, too. I just wanna take things slow, I guess."

Lydia nodded understandingly. Just as they finished talking, Braeden and the others approached them.

"How do we feel about ice cream?" Braeden said.

"Okay." Natalie smiled.

Braeden extended his arm to help Natalie up from the sand. She took his rough boyish hand and dusted herself off. She slipped on her flip flops and picked up her t shirt, which ended up covered in sand. She shook it out for a moment.

"Here," Braeden laughed. "You can wear mine."

"Are you sure?" She asked, taking the black Arctic Monkeys tee from him.

"Positive."