Chapter 17 - A Prettier Girl

"So," I said brightly the next morning. "Now we've found out that knowing a prominent rogue is not such a horrible, evil thing after all, can my brother come and live here?"

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" Jace asked.

I just shrugged at him. "I think I'm entitled to. I nearly spent a year behind bars for saying that man's name, and now it turns out that your mum and your uncle are his bestest friends."

Jace winced and ran a hand through his hair, which was still damp from the shower. "I'm having trouble believing that."

"Well, when you do get to grips with it, have a think about my brother. Please?"

"I added Kara to the register for you," he said, a warning in his eyes. "Don't push your luck. And who says he even wants to join the pack? Rogues usually don't."

I sighed, hoping that some of my frustration would escape alongside the air. It didn't. And long after Jace had disappeared off to work, I was still sitting there, trying to muster up some patience with him. I didn't care where my brother ended up living. I just wanted to know that he was alive and well, and it seemed like Jace should have been able to understand that, given the state of his own family.

"Good morning, Luna," Ashley said. "Ready for some training?"

I looked up blankly. I hadn't even noticed him come into the room, but there he was, leaning against the counter and filching some leftover toast from Tyler's plate.

"Oh. Is that today?" I asked him.

"Yes. We're just getting set up now. The new girl is here, too. She's going to be partnered with Luke, but we wanted to teach her the ropes before she takes a full shift."

Right. I remembered asking Jace for a female guard, but I hadn't been sure if he actually acted on it. Evidently, he had. I wish he had warned me. I might have put some more effort into my appearance if I'd known I was going to be meeting someone new today. I glanced towards the window, but all I could see was Alek's back.

"Would you do that if she was a guy?" I asked Ashley. "I mean ... you didn't do it with Alek, did you? And he had never guarded anyone before."

"No, I suppose we didn't," Ashley said. He was chewing on the toast thoughtfully. "She is very nervous, though, and she's young. Still. I'll raise that with Luke, if you want me to..."

"Yes, please," I told him. Another sneak peek through the window. "Why is she nervous? I thought she was trained as a fighter."

"I don't know really. She said she doesn't think you'll want her to be your guard. And that you don't like her. And that she wants to die."

I stared at him, heedless that my jaw had dropped and that I was the polar opposite of a calm, collected Luna. "Come again?"

Ashley shrugged helplessly at me.

I was walking towards the door a heartbeat later, hoping to get to the bottom of this weirdness. I remembered Jace making some snarky comments about this woman, but he'd never bothered to explain himself.

Alek had to take a hasty step out of the way when the door opened. He was bundled up in a winter coat. I found that a little depressing, because it meant autumn was finally drawing to a close, and the snow would be here before long.

"Morning," he said. "This is Zoe. She's super excited to meet you."

He did a good job of hiding the sarcasm. I wouldn't have picked up on it if not for that conversation with Ashley. But I had bigger things to worry about in that moment — because I recognised that name, and I recognised the girl in front of me.