Chapter 28 - Together Again

Hey guys. Maybe just pretend I uploaded this a month ago, okay? I'd like to say there will be another chapter next week, but that might take a small miracle, so fortnightly might be more realistic at the moment. Sorry about that. Got places to be and testicles to chop off. You know how it is.

Also, heads up - there is a trigger warning for respiratory distress and bereavement on this chapter.

"I didn't know you had a brother," Kara told me, casual as anything. She had chosen the seat next to me for Tyler's initiation. So far, it hadn't proved very interesting. There had been speeches from Jace and the former Beta, and there had been some very official paperwork. Honestly, I was glad it wasn't very interesting, because right now, I just needed two minutes to myself without someone asking me what colour tablecloths I wanted.

"Mm," I replied. "These last few months, I didn't know if I did have one. But he's here, and he's in one piece. What about you? Any siblings?"

It was a question I suspected I already knew the answer to.

"No. It was always just me," she said quietly. "Sometimes there were other kids in the building. We would play in the outdoor yard every now and then ... but they never stayed long. It was hard to make friends properly."

So there had been other children there. Where were they now, I wondered? Kara had told me very little about how she had escaped - something about smoke and a botched prisoner evacuation.

At the front of the room, Tyler was being 'sworn in.' There were promises to put the pack first, to protect it even at the cost of his own life, and to offer Jace his undying obedience. It was strange for me to watch, given that I hadn't been asked to make a single promise like that before becoming Luna.

His father was standing at his shoulder, since he was also an integral part of the ceremony. His expression was stony, and his shoulders were a straight line. I had been watching him almost constantly and noting how often his eyes flicked in Jace's direction. The entire pack was aware that this swap was being made a few weeks ahead of schedule, and it reflected poorly on him.

As the oaths finally came to an end, I watched the Beta wait just long enough to shake his son's hand before turning away altogether. He slipped through the crowd of onlookers, heading straight for the door, and then he was gone. That rapid exit did not go unnoticed. Lots of pairs of eyes followed him, and I could hear the people sat behind whispering about it before ten seconds had passed.

"He should be happy," Kara said. "He's retiring, right? So now he gets paid to do whatever he likes."

"I'm sure he just has a lot on his mind right now," I murmured. Kara was not always good at keeping quiet about sensitive topics, so I didn't see any reason to say more than that. "Have you thought about what kind of job you want to do, Kara?

Although if Jace's suspicions were correct, Kara might not get much choice about her future career. I eyed Tyler now - he was shaking hands with a few of the Deltas, but his body was angled in our direction, and I sensed we wouldn't be alone for much longer.

"Zoe's a fighter, and I think that sounds pretty cool," Kara mused. "Or maybe something in the gardens? I mean, I don't know anything about plants ... like at all. But I do like feeling the wind on my face."

"Killing people or watering flowers," I mused. "Okay. Glad you're narrowing it down."

Jace was looking my way, and he beckoned now. Far be it for me to ignore such a momentous summons. I took Kara's hand and tugged her along with me. The crowd was starting to clear now - everyone was streaming towards the food with all due eagerness - so it was just the four of us. Well. The four of us, and my two ever-present, ever-watchful guards.