Chapter 15

Very, very brief mention of a past suicide

***

Corey returned to the garage and spent most of the night messing around with their phone. They'd found a charger of theirs hidden away in the corner, a convenient transportation across universes that helped them keep their device alive, even if it was almost useless. They just wanted it to work. They just wanted to talk to their parents, to tell them that they were okay. 

They'd even tried to find an "alternate universe" option in their settings for their current location.

Long story short... there wasn't one.

Long story short... they still couldn't make sure their parents knew they were okay.

Long story short... they were still stuck here, away from home, and they didn't know when they would ever get back. 

They sat silently staring at the useless object in their hands as the hour stretched on.

It was about 9:30 when the garage door suddenly popped up and Kenny McCormick stepped into the space, causing Corey to jump at the sudden noise but look over at him quietly.

"Okay, so," Kenny started as he closed the door and moved over to them, sitting on the couch beside them. "I had a few theories on how this all happened, mainly dealing with universal constants and wormholes and the way that blackholes are created by the implosions of stars as they die out." Corey blinked at him cluelessly and he waved his hands in a disregarding motion. "Doesn't matter. I did have one theory on who could have caused it... A GAME THEORY," he exclaimed. 

Corey couldn't help but snort at the sudden outburst. 

"Anyway, I talked to them today after work and they really are the ones who did it. They said they're going to work on a way to bring you back but it might take another week or so to do it," he explained, and they nodded. "It was the-"

"Geeky computer guys? That makes sense," Corey said nonchalantly and Kenny nodded, shocked at first but quickly reminded that they knew a lot more than even he did. "Kenny, thank you. Really," they said, smiling at him. "You already do so much for everyone else, and now you're doing this for me, too."

"Oh, it's no problem. Helping out is just what I do," he responded with a smile. "Anyway, I need to get back home to Butters but I stocked our mini fridge for you."

"I- mini fridge?" Corey asked, and Kenny pointed to a small fridge hidden in between some boxes. Corey made a "huh" of interest as the taller stood up and headed to the exit. They waved as Kenny exited, and then they were left alone once again.

***

The next day was the last day of the school week, and even though it was refreshing to know the fact, conflict inched closer and closer and the threat of world domination hung over their heads. 

Corey once again arrived at the school and sat boredly through another day of classes they'd already taken. They didn't regret asking to come to the school, however. It was boring and it felt like forever, but it was still something to do other than sit in the garage doing nothing all day. They sat at Kenny's table during lunch that day, finally finding themself talking instead of just silently listening in.

When the final bell rang, Kenny and Corey instantly left and made their way toward Tolkien's house on the other side of town. 

When they arrived, the security guard allowed them into the estate with only some amount of trouble, a stark contrast to the normal amount of sass he gave anyone who tried to come through. They stood at the door for a few moments before Kenny raised a hand to ring the doorbell. They both jumped as Wyatt suddenly piped up from behind them.