Chapter 14

Finally, Kyle spoke up as he stared at the ground for what felt like eons. 

"We should text him," he said quietly. "You're right. I do really miss him and it really sucked when he left. A-and instead of talking to you about it I just made it worse by shutting it all in."

Stan sat up as best he could, his right side limply hanging as he tried to sit up straight. "I could have handled everything better, too."

Kyle nodded lightly at him, looking up at the boy momentarily before pulling up his phone and opening his text app. Stan watched him silently as he started to type out a message to Cartman. 

Both of them anxiously watched as Kyle's thumb hovered over the send button... and then pressed it gently. 

Kyle instantly shut off the phone and dropped it on the bedside table as if it were a bomb. The two sat in silence before a sudden buzzing of a phone echoed through the room. 

Kyle quickly grabbed the device, hands shaking as he anxiously turned it on.

Shopping Cart

Hey dude it's Kyle and Stan

Oh hey Jew

how are you guys doing?

Kyle furrowed his brows at the response. He moved and sat on the bed, acting as support for Stan to lean on so he could see the texts as Kyle reread them a few times. He was confused; Cartman usually never asked how he was.

Good?

I mean...

No, not really

oh

why not really?

Stan's in the hospital

what the hell

why

He had a stroke

But he'll be okay

thats good to hear

Yeah

Kyle looked at the responses dryly, sighing. It really wasn't the same anymore. He didn't know what to say. He missed his friend but he no longer had the connection with him that they once had. 

He looked at Stan silently, who sighed, before looking back at the conversation he was struggling to continue. He took a breath in and began typing. 

He didn't want this friendship to be lost to them any longer.

Listen, Cartman

I'm going to be brutally honest with you right now

i am... afraid

Kyle laughed at Cartman's response.

You better be

Look

It's just... Stan and I really miss having you around, you know? And Kenny kept in touch with you but I regret not doing the same

I just always thought you didn't want to talk to us, you know?

Kyle sighed as he realized he used the phrase "you know" twice in the last two messages and cursed the author silently. He stared at his phone intently as he waited for a response from the other, even as the screen turned off.