The Monster You Created

I had been feeling shit all day. I had coughed and retched the whole way home. My muscles were sore and stiff and my head throbbed. I lay in my bed, covering my face with my arm. I reached out and grabbed a bottle of booze of my bedside table. I lifted my head and drank. It hurt to swallow and putting anything in my mouth made me cough and occasionally throw up. Yet I felt staving.

I rolled out of bed and grabbed my mask. I couldn't be arsed to put on my coat and I let my nose poke out the top of my mask. It was hard to breath.

The kids said the affects would ware off after a day or two, but the best relief was to just take more. I had told them I'm not an addict and left them to do their own thing.

I had spoken to them after everything had cooled down and the enforcers left the factory last night. I found them huddled together behind the building scared out their minds. I told them how they could get home and where to get some food. I told those who didn't have a home a few places who might hire them.

I made my way to the fish joint Vi and Caitlyn had shown me. I sat down and ordered the same thing as before and ate. That's when Silco came. I spyed him out the corner of my eye with Sevika. I didn't stop eating when he spoke.

"You're Spark, aren't you?" Silco said. He didn't sit down, just stood on the far end of the counter.

"How'd you know me?" I asked, not looking at him.

"Jinx talks about you, just to herself but I've heard her. At first I thought you were one of her voices, but she talks about you not to you, so I figured out you were real. And alive."

I nodded "I met her a few years back, when her braids were only half way to the floor."

"Dose she know about you? Your magic? Your age? Who you are?"

"She knows about my magic, and that I'm not human. But not about where I'm from, it's a painful memory I don't care to discuss."

"I want you to protect her." Silco said.

"What do you think I've been doing?" I asked looking at him "What do you think that was one the bridge?"

Silco said nothing for a moment "Topside pulled a stunt last night, took out one of my shimmer factory's."

I nodded, obviously I knew all this but I was curious what he had to say.

"They're getting bold, sooner or later they'll be coming down here. They'll come for me and my men, and Jinx. When they do you'll protect her."

"Why?" I asked, purely out of curiosity. I was going to protect Jinx, whether Silco wanted me to or not.

"I'll pay you."

"I don't give a shit about mony." I said "I've managed by my own accords for twenty years. I'm not about to start working for a mafia boss with a failing mafia."

It pained me to say so much. My throat stung and I coughed. I covered my mouth with my fist, when I pulled it away my saliva was stained purple.

"You've had shimmer." Silco said, spying the purple on my hand.

I shrugged "Who hasn't?"

Silco said nothing for a moment "Nearly all my workers were arrested last night, but I found some who got out without being taken. When I asked them how they all said a person with a mask killed the enforcers guarding them. That was you, wasn't it?"

I said nothing, just looked away "Why should I protect Jinx?"

"I know you care about her," Silco said "so you will protect her either way."