you're sorry

ERITH JAY
PIPER AND FRANK RETURNED TO THE SHIP LOOKING RATHER CRESTFALLEN BUT INTACT.
Erith was relieved to see them―aside from the fact that they were alive, there was also the matter of the giant red sea serpent swimming off the port side of the ship that Percy was threatening to eat.

When the pair arrived, the crew gathered for a hurried meeting on the foredeck, which was where the serpent was swimming.

"That thing is really red," Percy muttered. "I wonder if it's cherry-flavored."

"Why don't you swim over and find out?" Annabeth asked.

"How about no."

"Good song, though," Erith commented.

Percy and Annabeth both looked at her. She stared at them, then said, "Don't tell me you don't listen to The Neighbourhood."

They continued to stare blankly at her. "We've been a little busy fighting wars here and there," Percy told her.

She rolled her eyes. "So have I. The possibility of death is no excuse not to listen to The Neighbourhood. In fact―"

"So anyway," Frank quickly said, effectively ending their conversation, "according to my Pylos cousins, the chained god we're looking for in Sparta is my dad... uh, I mean Ares, not Mars. Apparently the Spartans kept a statue of him chained up in their city so the spirit of war would never leave them."

"Oo-kay," Leo said. "The Spartans were freaks. Of course, we've got Victory tied up downstairs, so I guess we can't talk."

Erith patted him on the shoulder. "At least you're self-aware."

Indeed Percy, Leo, Frank, and Hazel had returned from their mini quest with a goddess, who had Frank's sock in her mouth. Erith hadn't asked.

Jason leaned against the forward ballista, his face tight with pain. "On to Sparta, then. But how does a chained god's heartbeat help us find a cure for dying?"

Hazel pursed her lips. "Piper, what about your visions?"

The daughter of Aphrodite was staring out at the ocean, her face blank. Erith gently nudged her. "Piper?"

She stirred. "Sorry, what?"

"Hazel was asking you about your visions," Erith said quietly. 

"You told me you'd seen some stuff in your dagger blade?" Hazel prompted.

"Uh... right." Piper unsheathed Katoptris rather reluctantly. She studied the blade's face. "I don't see anything right now. But one vision kept popping up. Annabeth, Erith and I exploring some ruins―"

"Ruins!" Leo rubbed his hands. "Now we're talking. How many ruins can there be in Greece?"

"Quiet, Leo," Annabeth scolded. "Piper, do you think it was Sparta?"

"Maybe," the girl said hesitantly. "Anyway... suddenly we're in this dark place like a cave. We're staring at this bronze warrior statue. In the vision Erith and I touch the statue's face and flames start swirling around us. That's all I saw."

"Flames." Frank scowled. "I don't like that vision."

"Me neither." Percy kept one eye on the red sea serpent, which was still slithering through the waves about a hundred yards to port. "If the statue engulfs people in fire, we should send Leo."