POV: Soren

"Goodbye, Father!" I yelled, waving off my fathers ship. Sitting at the rocks, listening to the calming sound of the waves crashing, I watched my Fathers ship, The Grantham disappear into the distance. I sat a while longer waiting, hoping he would somehow return, and I imagined how we would embrace each other with delighted faces, and how he would say, 'I'm proud of you, my boy!' Although I knew in my heart he wouldn't return for another year and those lingering thoughts would be long lasting. Slowly, I forced those thoughts to the back of my head and stood up, my heart still aching. "Darling, come on now, its getting late." My mother walked up behind me, following my gaze to the sea. "I miss him too, Soren." 

'A new day' I thought hopefully as I stirred awake. My mother had put all my clothes neatly on the ground next to my bed. Thanking her I slipped the clean clothing on and walked into the kitchen, where she was cooking. "Here is your breakfast, and some lunch for your first day back." she said kindly placing the food items in front of me. "Thank you Mother!" I said meekly. "Oh Thank you!-For everything you have done and will do for this family, Soren. You truly are a blessing from God! Your father is so proud of you!" She chuckled, squeezing my flushed cheeks. I puffed out my chest with pride at the sound of my father, a beaming smile on my face. "Now you keep that look and you'll get ALL the girls, my boy..."

Its been 5 years and my father still hasn't returned. I sniffed as I let all those memories of him fill my mind, and then snapped back to reality at the sound of my mothers worried voice. "Soren!" she yelled. "Your tutor will be here any minute now!" I brushed my hands through my hair, forcing a believable smile. "I'm coming, Mother!" I managed.