POV: Soren

Master Mannering arrived on the dot- as usual. "Mrs. Rahman," He politely nodded toward my mother...longer then necessary. "Soren," he spoke, gesturing for me to take a seat. "Can I get you some tea, Master Mannering?" My mother asked. "Please." He responded turning to me. "Well, shall we get on with it? Summarize our lesson from yesterday on paper."

...

After what had felt like a million years, the tutoring session had ended. Master Mannering stayed for a while longer, though my mother had sent me to bed early so I couldn't hear much of what was going on below my feet. They were sure to get betrothed! She most certainly fancied him. I thought about my father and how if he was still around Master Mannering would not be here, and I would not be upstairs. We would be a content family once more. I stood up and walked over to where a painting of my father was placed. I sighed. Why did he have to get onto that ship...could he not have cancelled it or something? A warm rush of tears flowed down my face and into my violently shaking hands. I tasted the saltiness as if I were tasting the flow of my life. I stood up - still shaking - and looked outside my window. "Help! HELP!" Someone cried from outside. Must be another one of those disobedient children. The thoughts came rushing back into my head; the pain he must have felt...how scared he must have been facing those waves when his ship went down...the knowledge that his life would end. Closing the damp wooden window I walked over to my bed, staring at nothing but the rustic floorboards.

"HELLLPPP! HELP ME PLEASE!" I woke up to a tedious sound...someone wanted help...no they NEEDED help. I quickly jumped down the cold steps, teeth clenched, into my kitchen where I found my mother walking around furiously, occasionally glancing out the window. She tensed as she saw me reach the floor. "What is that horrendous yelling?" I remarked." She looked into my eyes intensely, studying my face. "The plague..." she whispered, her face pale as a ghost. I stared openly into her eyes, and all of the sudden it all made sense. "I think it is about time I tell you. Master Mannering is...your uncle, Soren." She said under her breath. "He...he has been protecting us, but this morning a message was sent around that his wife has gotten the plague. Now he is sure to get it and we will be poor and infected!" I looked at her, speechless. There is no existing word that described what I was feeling. "Ma-" "I've packed lunch for your travels. Gather your things, we are leaving".