Aval

Devi ma was not able to understand why Padma started to cry suddenly. She patted her back and calmed her down. She then cupped her face and spoke,

D: Paddu chellam, enna aachu? Edhukku ipo en chellam azhara?

P: Mm..Ma... Ad...adhu... Adhu enakku... Enakku Appa Amma ila...

Devi ma was taken aback by Padma's statement. She gave her water and asked her to come with her. She took her to the other room made her sit comfortably and asked her.

D: Thangam, ipo solu. Ena aachu?

P: Enakku oru 12 vayasu irukkum bodhu amma enna school lendhu kootitu poga vandhanga. Apo enaku ice cream sapda aasaya irukku nu adam pudichen. Enna school entrance kitta wait panna solitu road cross panni ponanga, vangitu varumbodhu, ena paathute road uh gavanikkama cross panni vandhapo, opposite la vandha car modhiruchu. Ange irundha ellarum amma va hospital la odane admit pannanga. But amma va kaapatha mudiyala. Appa ku first eh pulla porakkanum nu aasa. Aana na porandhuten. Apove en mela irundha veruppu Amma erandhadhum romba jasthi aairuchu. Enna coimbatore la irukara en paati thatha veetula kondu vitutu avaru Bangalore kelambi poitaru. Monthly selavuku nu Panam anupitu irundharu. Na medical padikka aasa padren nu paati appa ku phone panni sonnapo idhuku mela enala edhuvum panna mudiyadhu nu soltaru. Nerula poi paathu pesina seri aaidum nu paati ena kootitu ponanga. Anga pona peragu dha en appa second marriage pannikitaru avaruku apo oru 5 vayasu  payyan irukkan num therinjudhu. Edhuvume sollama thirumbi veetuku vandhutom. Epdiyadhu aasa patta padippu padikanum nu tution eduthen, chinna chinna velam lam senju panam sethen, En thatha paati avanga thottathulendhu vara Panathayum enakaga sethu vechanga. Kadavul punyathula scholarship kedachudhu. Appa enaku anupina panam edhuvume use pannama thatha bank la potu vechurundharu. Epdiyo doctor ku padichu mudichen. Apram specialization pannavun porattam uh dha irundhuchu. Epdiyo elathayum mudichu inga Ooty la vandhu oru clinic open pannen. Rendu varsham munnadi en appa heart attack la erandhutaru nu paati kita engaluku therinja oruthar sonnaru. Adhuvum avar erandhu 6 maasam kelichu. Life la Appa Amma paasam kedaikadha nu engi irukken. Enaku elame en paati thatha dha. Avanga inum coimbatore la dha irukanga.

D: (wiping her eyes) ne azhadha chellam. Inume unakku Appa Amma ila nu lam solla koodadhu. Inume ne en ponnu. Unga paati thatha kita pesi seekaram eh unakum Ritesh Kum Kalyanam panni veetuku kootitu vandhuta solren. Ipo Siri!

Padma hugged Devi ma wordlessly, feeling the motherly warmth that she always longed for. She felt light after speaking her heart out. Ritesh who was waiting near the door for them had tears in his eyes. Devi ma came out to see him trying to look at Padma. She patted his cheeks and signalled him to go and talk to her. He came in and closed the door. He walked up to her and pulled her into a tight embrace.

R: Enakaga ne evlovo panni irukka. Aana na un kudumbathula yaar lam irukka nu kooda kekama irundhurukken nu nenacha guilty uh irukku ma. But I promise you this, inume un life la ne Appa Amma ila nu feel panna maata. Pannavum vida maaten.

He peppered her face full of kisses and hugged her tight. She felt her peace finally returning back to her. Later that evening, they spoke to Padma's grand parents through video call. They blessed the couple wholeheartedly. After the elders spoke and decided on their wedding date, they were all set for the big day.

Devi ma and Kumar pa were excited to bring home their daughter. Ritesh was on cloud nine. Padma couldn't stop blushing because of her man's constant flirting. It was all like a dream for them. They had a simple temple wedding as both did not like mingling with 100s of unknown faces.

Ritesh was waiting nervously in his room pacing to and fro waiting for his newly wedded wife. When he heard the door knob twist, he looked at the entrance only to be trapped by his wife's beautiful eyes. She looked ethereal in her saree. Her neatly done hair that was adorned with Jasmine made him reach heaven on earth.

He slowly walked towards her and made her sit on the bed. He locked the door and sat next to her. He made her look at him to see her eyes filled with tears.

R: Paddu, ena aachu ma?
P: ..
R: edhuva irundhalum sollu ma. En kita ena bayam?
P: Bayam lam ila pa, enakku idhulam kanavu madiri irukku.

Ritesh pinched her slightly on her waist making her yelp in pain and blush at the same time.

R: Kanavu ila nu ipo therinjudha (base voice) inume epavum ne sirichutu dha irukkanum. Azhave koodadhu. ( Kissing her forehead)

R: Madam, iniku ena night nu theriyum uh?

P:(nodding her head, blushing hard)

R: Apo...... Unakku ok uh?

P: (Nodding again)

R: Vaaya thorandhu sollu di ( holding her hip and pulling her to his lap)

P(blushing): Ah... Chi po da...

She hid her face into his chest while he laughed at her innocence. He then made her comfortable on bed and came on top of her. He kissed her forehead, then her eyes her cheeks and looked at her lips and back to her eyes as if seeking her permission. Padma was deeply touched by how wanted to take her permission even before sharing a kiss. As soon as she closed her eyes silently granting him everything he asked for, he kissed her deep. They slowly proceeded into their long night...

After 5 years,

R: Paddu, enga ma irukka?
P: Na kitchen la irukken da.(biting her tongue on realising that his mom has come home)

Padma turns to look at her mother-in-law cutting veggies for dinner. She signalled a sorry to which Devi ma said.

D: Un purushan ne solra. Idhuku edhuku ma enakku sorry. Ne neeya iru, adhu dhan enakkum pudikkum.

Padma hugged her Ma, and then walked out to greet her husband.

R: kichu enga ma?
P: Avan vilayada poi irukkan.
R: Seri enoda cousin sister varanga ma. Adhan dinner ku konjam kooda sapadu pannidu nu solla vandhen.
P: Oh, apdiya. Seri na ready pannidren.

Kichu: Haiii, appa vandhachu...

Kichu runs and hugs his dad who spins him and put him down. The duo then play for a while after refreshing.

Ritesh's cousin had come for dinner and we're having a gala time when kichu came and hugged his dad. His usual habit when he feels sleepy.

R: Kichu kutty ku thookam vandhurucha? Seri amma kita ponga thoonga panniduva. Appa seekram vandhuren.

K: Appa, nee dhane epavum enayum ammavayum thookitu pova thoonga panna. Na wait panren, ne vandhu ennayum ammavayum thookitu po.

The moment kichu said this out loud infront of everyone, Padma silently ran into the kitchen making everyone laugh. Ritesh was a blushing mess while his cousin teased him. His parents were laughing and were happy looking their son live their life with a best person that they could ever wish for.

She came in as his happy cloud showering him with rain called love. He who had become dry land by then, took in every drop of love that she had to offer and returned her favour by nurturing life within!
__________________________________________
Author note:

Hi dear readers,

Hope you enjoyed it. This is the final chapter of this short story. Please do share and vote. Comment what you liked in this story. Do let me know if you had felt I could have done it better. Am open for your feedback and will surely work on it.

Love,
Suha 💜