• seventeen •

a/n: mood board for the chapter, should i do these more often??

• • •

     I was freaking out

     I was freaking out.  Then again, I always did when it came to outfit choices.  Getting ready for work? Easy.  Getting ready to attend outside of work situations, especially with Harry? Much more difficult.  While I knew everyone's kids were going to be in attendance, I also knew the evening was formal.  At least, that was what Jackie had told me.  She did live in the rich part of town, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a lot of luxury vehicles, and a lot of money talking.  After all, I was almost certain people from Jackie's husband's work would be attending, and I knew he worked at an accounting firm.

Deciding to go with the long black dress, it had thin straps, a V-neck cut, and the top half had a lacey fringe.  It reminded me of something that Stevie Nicks would wear, but I hoped that it would look formal enough.  Deciding to pair it with a necklace, I put some diamond earrings in, hoping that I looked my best.  After all, I was expecting a pretty high-class evenings after the way Jackie had described it when I last saw her.  Then again, there was always a lot that could happen.

By the time it was six, I heard a knock on the front door.  Quickly leaving my bathroom, I knew I would still need to sleep some heels on, but decided I could do that once I had gotten the door.  Pulling it open quickly, my eyes widened slightly at the man on the other side of the door.  He was wearing a suit, the pinstripe looking absolutely perfect on him.  Harry always looked timeless in a way that I couldn't place, the curly-haired personality glancing me up and down twice before a dimpled smirk crossed his features.

"Good evening, doll."

"Hi," I murmured.  "I just have to put my shoes on."

"Of course," he nodded, stepping inside and shutting the door behind him.  "Whatever you need to do."

I hurried to my bedroom, walking into my closet and taking time to pick out my shoes.  I had a couple of different pairs, but I finally decided on a platform with an ankle strap.  I knew it would give me some much needed height for the evening, leaving me to walk into my bedroom with them.  However, I was somewhat startled when I saw Harry in my room, the man looking through the artwork that was still off to the side of the room.  Though, he must have felt me staring at him because he paused what he was doing, glancing over at me.

"Do you want help?" he asked.

"I didn't expect you to be in my room."

"Well, what else was I going to do?" he shrugged, walking over to me to take the shoes.  "Sit."

I sat on the bed, watching as he knelt down in front of me.  Of course, I probably would have fought him any other time, but I assured him I would not give him any attitude after the events of Monday.  Which reminded me that I needed to slip on a few bracelets since the light bruising had faded to a yellowish bruise and I didn't want to explain to anyone what was wrong with my wrists if they asked.  Once Harry was finished, I waited for him to stand up, my face flushing when he held his hands out to me.  Taking them carefully, I stood up, watching as he glanced at me, and then my wrists.