💙 Blueprints 💙

In the early times, women were suppressed and confined to the comfort of their own homes. With the task of taking care of the children and keeping the house tidy, there was no room for any of them to fully express who they are and their passions.

Through time, women were gradually given the same opportunities as men but not all accepted this change. There are still people who refuse to let women do certain jobs just because of their sexuality. Some would even go as far as lowering their pay despite having a difficult task, denying them the right to apply, or even ruining their names and embarrassing them in public.

However, women are highly underrated. They are also capable of many things and we have learned not to wait for a moment or a chance to show them, instead, we take the opportunities or create them ourselves.

In this story, we follow the life of Nya, a female engineer as she rebels against the current society.

🖊️🖊️🖊️🖊️🖊️🖊️

Like any other person, Nya Smith had a dream. However, hers was considered unfit for a person of her gender in the current world. For years and years she watched as her mother gave up on her dream of working alongside her father in their blacksmith shop, confined to the four walls of the place they call home. Left to look after her children and keep their house tidy.

But Nya was stubborn. She wasn't going to just let society tell her who and who she cannot become.

It was during the evenings when she was free to express her passion. Away from the prying eyes of their nosy neighbors, and away from the disapproving looks of her father. She developed a routine of sketching down her ideas for vehicles, machines, and many things that could help better their world and would only stop once the flame in the candle she lit was gone.

"Drawing up blueprints again?" Her older brother, Kai, asked and looked down on the sketches she had laying around the floor of their bedroom. "You know, it's not too late to give up on it and give in to your duties."

Nya rolled her eyes. Kai always discouraged her from pursuing the things she wanted to do. Unlike her, he was known to be more realistic, often listing down what would go wrong if she were to follow her dream. It was sweet that he was concerned, but sometimes Nya found it annoying.

"And what? Just become a housewife while my husband is off working?" She spat back, refusing to look at him. "Do you know how sexist you sound?"

Kai sighed, it was always like this every time they talked about her dreams. "Look, Nya, I'm just trying to help. The world is not open to this kind of thing yet, maybe you should just do what you're supposed to do."

"How can the world get used to it if no one is brave enough to stand up to society?"

Her brother didn't respond. Nya didn't expect him to.

She moved her pencil across the papers, sketching different lines as she went. "Look, nothing is going to happen if we just obey the rules. Nothing will change for us if we don't take a stand." Nya looked up to meet her brother's eyes. "It's what mom should have done. And that's what I'm going to do."

Kai remained quiet, but his respect for his sister did not go unnoticed. He climbed into the small single bed in the corner of their room, pulling the torn covers over his figure. "Just turn off the lamp when you're done."

"Will do!" Nya responded with a smile, not looking up from drawing.

During the day, she would help her mother with the chores. Cleaning their house from the living room to the bathroom, it was all just a normal routine for her. Which she would often use as time to come up with more ideas she was going to draw during the night.