💚 Game of Masks 💚

This episode had to live up to it's name.

The temple of the last Oni mask was filled with silence after Harumi revealed her true identity. She smirked, having been successful in playing with the Green Ninja's feelings. She watched as his expression changed into hurt, his grip on the mask tight as he walked away from her.

"You only wanted me to get the mask you couldn't find." He pointed out, thinking he's got the pieces of the puzzle fit together that Harumi couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"I didn't need you to find the mask." She confessed, walking closer to him. "It would have already been mine had your idiot friends not stolen Wu from us." Her face changed, there was no use in hiding now.

Lloyd's features softened at the realization, his hands instinctively bringing the mask closer.

"The baby is Master Wu?"

"Oh that's right." Harumi rested her hand on her hip. "You didn't know." She walked closer, making Lloyd step away from her. "I knew to keep you close, not everything goes to plan."

It was true. She never anticipated the slight complication of being close to the ninja–a setback she often internally beat herself up for–especially Lloyd. Harumi had to be strong not to give into her desires, not to forget about her mission. No matter how much her heart ached.

She had caught up with him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Give. Me. The. Mask." Her hand went to reach for it but Lloyd moved away, stepping further backwards.

"No." He stated. "I can't let you bring my father back. Not like that."

Harumi grew angry. Every second he stalled was a second wasted. Time that could be used for completing her plan.

"Well then, if you won't give it to me..."

Using her skills, Harumi sent him flying backwards with a swift kick. Lloyd groaned, dropping the mask in the process, as his face painted the expression of hurt. Both physically and emotionally. He quickly got back up to face her, there was no way he was letting her get away that easily.

"Then I will take it!"

The mask was right in between them, just like the night Harumi blew up the palace. They stared at each other–green eyes meeting blue–as they both contemplated what to do next. Lloyd waited. He waited for her to move first and when she did, he immediately used his powers to his advantage.

Harumi fell to the ground as the mask flew to the edge of the stone platform they were standing on. As she went to get up, Lloyd tackled her to the ground.

"Why?!" He demanded, using his weight and strength to keep her down.

"I never asked to be a princess." Harumi answered with spite and flipped them over. "Just as I never asked to be an orphan. But you gifted me that." She brought her face closer to his, teasing him as she did to get his mind racing.

Lloyd pushed her off him but his hand remained on her shoulder as she crashed to the floor once again. "How did I do that?"

"The Great Devourer, it was too strong." Harumi pushed him back as she spoke. "Too big for you and your friends!"

It was clear that both their minds raced with the memories of that tragic day. For Lloyd, it was a day of victory after the ninja had defeated the giant snake and they had rescued Master Wu. For Harumi, it was the day she lost everything.

Her home, her family, her self.

Harumi chuckled, pushing his body further to the floor. She could already feel him grow weak with every word she said.