Prompt 2

Something falls from the sky when it lands it is glowing purple with what appears to be lava flowing off of it.

A snippet of what I would do with this prompt:

The waking nightmare:
The children were warned to stay out of the corn fields. The stalks could trip or cut you, and you might twist your ankle in a hole you can't see. But  they didn't care, they were more interested in making their games more fun. The sun was red and yellow from the beginning of the sunset and Preston felt like he was getting close to catching one of his friends when he tripped causing him to fall flat on his face. He flipped over groaning in pain, he wasn't sure if it just hurt or if his ankle had indeed twisted but either way he was staying on the ground for a minute to regain composure.
He stared into the sky and wondered if his mother would be upset that he had gone into the corn fields, suddenly something shone in the sky. Slowly it came into view, something was falling, and smoking.
He quickly stood up and started running towards where the object was falling, forgetting about his own fall.
He burst from the field and slowly his friends joined him to as they shouted about the object in the sky. It barreled down. Preston thought that it might fall somewhere near there, if it did they were definitely checking it out.
It was now quickly approaching the ground and Preston began to determine better where it would land. He stood for a moment in horror as he looked back and forth between the object and where it definitely appeared to be heading, his house.
"No!" Preston exclaimed bolting for his house. He was just down the road but his small legs could only carry him so quickly and before he could even make it half way, it hit.
The sound of breaking wood and glass drowned out any sounds of screaming that may have been coming from inside, almost immediately after a shock wave followed by a plume of smoke engulfed Preston. He fell to his knees in pure shock. He couldn't process what he was looking at even after the dust began to settle. As he stared in shock and disbelief at what remained of his house he caught another glint of something in the sky, no two, five, twenty. His eyes widened he was losing count, as thousands maybe closer to millions of a similar object began falling from the sky.
As each one hit the ground he could feel it shake, and he couldn't bring himself to move. He covered his head and waited for the nightmare to end.
After what seemed like a lifetime Preston looked up, he had counted five minutes without a shock wave and hoped it was indeed over.
He looked to his left, one of the objects was in front of someone's house, someone much luckier than his family.
It was roughly the size of a mini van if the van was set up on its trunk. It looked to be some kind of rock or crystal, it seemed to glow purple and what looked like lava to Preston was flowing out of its cracks.
He cautiously approached it still unsure what was goin on, he came to about twenty feet away when it suddenly cracked open and a steamy mist began to roll out of it.
He fell back onto his butt and covered his mount with his hand to keep from screaming as a horrific sound came from within the rock.
It was something between the sound of nails on a chalk board and an animal screech.
Then it began to step out from the mist of the rock, a creature with long legs like a spider with hooks all over. It had a head that looked human in shape but had no eyes and instead had large fangs.
Preston couldn't stand it anymore he tried to run, but he was crying and tripped again shouting out. It moved quicker than any animal he had seen and pinned him to the cement with its sharp legs causing him to scream.
He hadn't noticed till now that it had a tail that looked like a scorpion which it stung into his neck. He felt his limbs go limp and he saw his friends behind the creature still at the edge of the field.
With the last of his strength he could muster he shouted out to them, "RUN IDIOTS RUN!"