In the beginning there were tights

Especially in very cold winters it was just too cold in the pants. So something had to be worn underneath. Long underwear. What was offered there was simply a disaster. Long, thick, scratchy underpants that were so stiff they also restricted movement. Also, that awful gray makes it visually unattractive. Well, the things have served their purpose, no longer let the cold penetrate to the legs. But otherwise? 

The alternative was tights. Unfortunately, there were only in women's departments. And women's departments? For gentlemen frowned upon! Just as the devil avoids holy water! And if you grew up a real man, you don't care about fashion. Interest in fashion is unmanly. The media alone is responsible for this widespread prejudice.

Luckily I had a girlfriend at the time with whom I could tackle this project

Luckily I had a girlfriend at the time with whom I could tackle this project. My first purchase of cotton tights in a women's department. The first thing was the visual impression. Wow, there are colors! Then came a brief touch. Wow, way softer than those stupid men's long johns. And my girlfriend went to the cash register to pay. Great, another relief.

At home I tried on the tights undisturbed. Well, could have been one size smaller, but whatever. They could be slipped over the legs, felt soft and comfortable and warmed nicely.

And very important: when I went outside, nobody saw that I was wearing tights because they were hidden by the pants. That was the very first step in a direction that then led me more and more towards women's clothing.