CHAPTER EIGHT

Peering outside the window, I let out a small sigh when I see a thick layer of snow sparkling in the sunshine. My glasses slip down my nose, so I push them back up, leaning away from the window. I tug my sweatshirt closer around my body, walking over to where my phone is plugged in by my cot. Turning it on, I see I have a DM from one of the girls that is a part of my book club. She says that the small group of girls in the book club still wants to meet up even though there's a ton of snow outside. 

I quickly respond, saying that I'll meet them at the restaurant that they chose. I'm glad that they want to hang out with me and talk about books, but a bout of nervousness runs through my body. Darra and I haven't figured out the newest riddle about the ides of spring and birds with water wings. Well, I assume Darra hasn't figured it out because Kent and Holly have been keeping their eyes on me. I haven't been out of the house in a few days, but that didn't really bother me. It's safer being in here than outside with all the ways I could die. Though, I did get hurt here, too, so I'm not sure if I'm safe anywhere.

Lia and I haven't really spoken. She's been hanging out with Wyatt and Jasmina a lot more. I know she's upset with me because I didn't tell her the truth about Darra and the bell and that whole situation as a whole, but I don't want to tell her about my death sentence. She wouldn't believe me, and if she did, she would try to figure out what's going. For some reason, I don't want her help. I've been on my own for much longer that I'd like to admit. The weird thing is that I'm allowing Darra to help me. Sure, he's a magical creature and knows about the world that I stumbled into, but I'm actually allowing him to help me. It's weird, and I don't like it. 

Behind me, I hear the door to Jasmina's room squeal open. Spinning around, I see Lia standing there, still wearing her fluffy pajamas that matches the rest of her family's pajamas. They all bought matching pajamas the other day, excluding me because I'm not related to them. She crosses her arms over her chest when she sees me, and I smile at her, hoping that she's in a good mood. She doesn't smile back, so my own smile drops off of my face. 

"Lia," I say, my voice coming out shakier than what I expected, "why won't you talk to me?"

"Because you're lying to me."

I sigh, my eyes fluttering shut for a moment. I press my hand against my forehead. There is a war going on in my head, and I don't know which side will win. Before I can stop myself, I open my mouth and say, "Fine. I'll tell you everything about what's going on."

Collapsing onto my cot, I put my head in my hands. This is going to be a mistake, I just know it, but I have to tell her what's going on. She's my best friend, and I can't stand lying to her. Not anymore. I feel the cot dip as she sits down next to me, and I start telling her my story. She stays silent the entire time as I explain my situation, and even when I'm done, she is still quiet. 

I'm afraid that she's going to tell me that I made it all up, so I sneak a glance over at her. There's a scared look on her face. "Are you sure?" she whispers. She believes me. I let out a breath of relief. "Isn't there a way for you to . . . not die?"

"Darra and I are trying to figure out what these riddles mean," I say, shrugging. Leaning back on my hands, I stare up at the blank ceiling like it has all the answers I need. "We got through one, and now we're on the second one." I quickly recite to her the new riddle, sighing. "Since your aunt and uncle have kept me here, I haven't contacted Darra to see if he figured it out. I assume he would try to see me, though, if he did figure it out, so let's just say for right now that he hasn't."

"Maybe I can help." Sitting up straight, I look over at her. She has a determined look on his face, which instantly makes me feel better. If anyone can crack these riddles, it's Lia. She's a master with words. "Aren't you going to hang out with some of the girls in your book society soon?" I nod. "Okay, while you're gone, I figure out what the riddle means. I'll text you my findings."