Passive, but Still Aggressive (Rated PG13)

Summary:

Sebastian forgets an important anniversary. Kurt doesn't. And Kurt handles it ... well, like Kurt.

***

Sebastian pulls his Porsche into underground parking, rolling in at about five miles below the speed limit. He stays between the lines, conscientiously following the yellow arrows that lead to his assigned spot, taking his time to maneuver his car into the dead center of his space. He's stalling, and since he's alone, he won't bother denying it. He seriously considers sleeping here the seven hours until morning ... in his car ... underground. He'd wake up with a crick in his neck and a kink in his back, but he'd deserve it.

Kurt had expected Sebastian home hours ago. They were supposed to have dinner together. They eat dinner together most every night, but Kurt had stressed the fact that tonight they needed to have dinner together. He emphasized it not only like it was important, but like Sebastian should know why it was important.

But Sebastian didn't catch on, even when the universe itself tried to give him clues.

He misplaced his wedding ring twice today. Sebastian never misplaces his wedding ring because he never takes it off. But he had to today twice – once when he accidentally stuck his hand in maple syrup, and the second time when a blue ballpoint pen exploded in his hand. He had to take his ring off both times to clean it, and then promptly misplaced it, but only for a minute – long enough to give his heart a jolt.

That should have been the only clue he needed, but being a rather dense male, it wasn't.

The wedding party limo that passed him on the highway, decorated with white paper bells and silver tinsel, should have been his second clue. But when Sebastian saw it, he rolled his eyes, thankful that on their wedding day, he and his husband were able to escape the reception for the airport in his Porsche instead of taking the limo that his groomsmen had decorated with hundreds of inflated condoms.

The Heppermyer's 50th Anniversary celebration, taking place at a table not too far from his during the dinner he should have been sharing with Kurt, should have been the hammer that clobbered him over his thick skull. He even sent a bottle of champagne to the happy couple's table, and they sent him a piece of their cake – a green tea flavored Japanese inspired confection that he thought for sure that Kurt would enjoy.

But, ironically, it didn't.

Kurt's uncharacteristic radio silence after two, "Where are you?" texts didn't do it, either.

No. Unfortunately it wasn't until Sebastian left the strip club (girl dancers only so he felt safe entertaining there) and the song "I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston came on his iPod over the car's speakers that it hit him.

When Whitney sang the verse, "I have nothing if I don't have you," it hit him hard.

Today (technically yesterday, but Sebastian was leaping over shock and starting in the denial stage), was his and Kurt's fifth wedding anniversary. The wood anniversary - oddly appropriate since Sebastian Smythe was officially a humongous block head.

But instead of realizing early enough to come home and salvage the night (by the skin of his teeth the way he usually does), it's after 1:30 a.m. when Sebastian returns home from his new client meeting.

He could have bowed out hours ago; this client in particular wasn't that important.

Nothing's as important as his husband.

But Sebastian was having a moment.

He was riding high on scoring a win, so to speak, which came with it a moment of, "Why do I have to answer to anybody?" and, "I'm a grown man, I'll do what I want." Both of those moments may have been fueled by adrenaline and alcohol, but they were still significant at the time.