Bedtime Story

Chapter 1

The moon gleamed above the serene land of Lycaon, while stars burned surrounding it with pride. The light from these gifts of the universe made the civilized south territory visible in the night, the place also known as Arche pack. However, darkness has never been a problem to the folk residing in the amicable place. They are natural night dwellers and blessed with sharp eyes and night vision. Nevertheless, upon being safe from harm, they kept their human form while conversing and bonding with the other members of the pack. Pups run and dance around the land, laughter, and giggles were heard in every cabin, and warmth from the assured safety of the pack was felt.

Xerxes smiled upon seeing his people safe and happy, reminiscing how his late mother dreamt of having that kind of home. Unfortunately, she was gone before she even had the opportunity to witness the joyous days he was living.

"Atlas is back!" A squeal from a girl pup was heard which made the other children flood towards a particular man wearing a thick cloak, a breathless deer hanging over his shoulder. Xerxes, not bothered by his disheveled appearance from a deep slumber, vacated his cabin to meet the infamous Atlas - his loyal pal. The pups surrounded him with the eagerness to hear his night tales visible in their glistening eyes. Atlas was used to that kind of attention and never ceased to disappoint them as he always allots time for them, telling the pups different kinds of stories before bed. However, Atlas arrived from hunting and was tired of running and catching prey. Food is seemingly in a state of scarcity.

Atlas who's towering over the pups showed his pleading eyes to the advancing Xerxes, the other smirking at him. His hope of having a good rest shattered when his supposed help announced the unpredictable.

"That's a great catch. Now... storytime!" He commended the meat Atlas' caught before he mischievously brought his friend's doom. All the pups jumped, giggled, and squealed in happiness and excitement. While Atlas just heaved a sigh before throwing the deer onto Xerxes who was laughing his lungs to death. Despite his hands positioned on his aching stomach because of too much laughing, he still managed to swiftly catch the meat.

"I'll make you pay for this..." His friend intentionally crashed into his shoulder as he led the kids to the nursery cabin. The pups followed him like a beeline. "Double!" Xerxes feigns he's hurt and playfully backs away. "No, Beta...I'm sca...scared." He faked his stutter and giggled after. Atlas just rolled his eyes and left him. His two teeth beaming through his smile, it made him look like a bunny. Atlas was questioning himself why he befriended the idiot Xerxes.

The pups and Atlas reached the cabin where children and unmated omegas are sheltered. It was the second-largest shack in the pack after the packhouse where the head alpha resides. The cabin was made of strong trunks of wood and guarded by two robust betas.

All are seated on the fury floor mat while Atlas was in a wooden chair. The pup's head was raised high enough to reach his eyes.

"What do you want to hear for tonight, pups?" Atlas cheerfully asked despite his exhaustion. Almost everyone raised their hands to speak and bid their request tales in their minds. The smallest in the group caught Atlas' attention and he chose her first, giving her a warm smile and nod.

Right at that moment Xerxes arrived at the small gathering and saw the girl named Casa with a shy expression while standing up. Hesitation was visible to her aura. The man who just arrived placed himself at the right side of his friend, occupying the vacant couch a few steps away.

"Uhmm.. Is it okay? It's a little bit scary though. Mom used to tell me this tale whenever I was being a brat." Xerxes laughed quietly at the thought. It was exactly in mother's nature to scare their children just so they could do as they say. His mother was like that too, before. He can't help but miss his mom. In contrast, his friend Atlas held himself from breaking into laughter to save the kid from embarrassment. This may be the reason why they're friends. The two are different in every way possible and balance each other. Like the law of nature, the opposite attracts. Atlas was collected while Xerxes was a free and happy-go-lucky wolf.